06:37 GMT05 December 2020
Listen Live
    World
    Get short URL
    Nagorno-Karabakh: Flare-Up Between Armenia, Azerbaijan (104)
    0 22
    Subscribe

    Earlier, an Armenian Defence Ministry spokesman said that the situation on the line of contact in the unrecognised Nagorno-Karabakh Republic was calm.

    The fighting on the line of contact in Nagorno-Karabakh began on 27 September, with Armenia and Azerbaijan accusing each other of unleashing hostilities. Armenia has declared martial law and - for the first time - general mobilisation, while partial mobilisation has been introduced in Azerbaijan.

    The international community has strongly condemned the escalation and called on parties to settle their differences via dialogue, while Turkey has pledged its full support for Azerbaijan.

    Yerevan and Baku have signed three ceasefire agreements since the initial escalation in September, but all of them were broken soon after entering into force.

    The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict first flared up in the late 1980s, with the predominantly Armenian-populated autonomous region proclaiming independence from Azerbaijan in 1991. As a result, Baku and Yerevan waged a full-scale war for the area between 1992 and 1994 that claimed the lives of around 40,000 troops and civilians from both sides.

    A ceasefire was signed in 1994, and the conflict remained frozen, while the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (also known as the Republic of Artsakh) remains an unrecognised state.

    Follow Sputnik's feed to find out more.        

    New messages
    • 21:15

      Armenia Says Azerbaijan Resorted to Subversion in Disputed Karabakh

      YEREVAN (Sputnik) - Azerbaijan is increasingly engaging in unconventional war tactics in the contested region of Nagorno-Karabakh, an Armenian Defense Ministry spokesman said Thursday.

      "The fifth-generation war that we saw in the first three to five weeks is morphing into an unconventional war that relies on saboteurs, mercenaries and ‘sting’ attacks," Artsrun Hovhannisyan told Armenia's Public Television.

      Hovhannisyan added that Azeri forces used these tactics alongside assaults by heavy equipment, artillery and aviation. Armenia observed what he referred to as a "symbiosis" of military means and ways in clashes near the town of Shusha.

    • 13:00

      Moscow Calls on Parties to Karabakh Conflict to Show Restraint and Renew Talks

    • 10:39

      Karabakh Conflict Would Be Over if Turkey Weren't Directly Involved, Armenian President Says

    • 09:43

      Nagorno-Karabakh Has No Future as Part of Azerbaijan, Armenian FM Says

      Nagorno-Karabakh (the self-proclaimed Republic of Artsakh) cannot have any future as part of Azerbaijan and this has become even more clear now, Armenian Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan said on Thursday.

      "The current situation shows more clearly that Artsakh cannot have any future within Azerbaijan. It did not have and does not have [future as part of Azerbaijan]. Such a situation would mean Artsakh without Armenians, and this will not happen. This has become more evident today," Mnatsakanyan said during the discussion of Armenia's state budget for 2021.

      According to him, the appearance of foreign fighters in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict may have serious consequences both for the region itself and for other territories.

      "These are new realities that have shaped new priorities in the fight against terrorism," the minister said.

      Armed hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh, an Armenian-populated enclave inside Azerbaijan that exercises de facto independence, have been ongoing since September 27. Three internationally-brokered humanitarian ceasefires had been announced since then, but the military action never ceased.

    • 08:40

      Karabakh Forces Accuse Azerbaijan of Launching Overnight Offensive, Baku Refutes Claims

      The defence forces of the self-proclaimed republic of Artsakh (Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh) say they have repelled overnight attacks launched from the eastern and southern directions.

      "The enemy forces were especially active in the east, south-east and south. Numerous attacks by enemy assault groups were successfully repelled by units of the Defence Army. The enemy suffered heavy losses in manpower and equipment," the Nagorno-Karabakh Defence Army said in a statement on Thursday morning.

      According to the release, the Karabakh forces have also repelled a planned attack in the north.

      "The enemy forces’ attempts to launch attacks in the above-mentioned directions continue," the Nagorno-Karabakh Defence Army said.

      Meanwhile, Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry has refuted allegations of the overnight attacks launched in Nagorno-Karabakh.

      "We declare once again that the Azerbaijani army is not shelling settlements and civilian infrastructure," the ministry said in a statement on Thursday morning.

    • 08:30

      Azerbaijani Army Shelling Towns of Susha and Lachin, Authorities of Karabakh Republic Say

    • 05:43

      Azerbaijani MoD Reports Violation of Ceasefire By Armenia on State Border

      Azerbaijan’s Defence Ministry has accused Armenia of violating the ceasefire regime on the state border from the late hours of Wednesday to Thursday morning.

      "Units of the Armenian armed forces have again shelled the positions of the Azerbaijani army units on the Armenian-Azerbaijani state border with mortars and small arms," the statement said.

      According to the ministry, the positions of Azerbaijani military units located in the Tovuz, Gadabay and Dashkesan regions of Azerbaijan were periodically attacked overnight by the enemy troops from the Berd, Chambarak and Vardenis regions of Armenia.

    Topic:
    Nagorno-Karabakh: Flare-Up Between Armenia, Azerbaijan (104)
    Tags:
    Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Azerbaijan, Armenia
    Community standardsDiscussion