06:50 GMT05 December 2020
Listen Live
    World
    Get short URL
    Global COVID-19 Cases Spike to Highest Level Post-Lockdown (247)
    0 20
    Subscribe

    The global death toll from the coronavirus infection has topped 1.205 million; over 46.8 million cases have been detected, and almost 31.2 million of those have been cured, according to Baltimore, Maryland's Johns Hopkins University, which tracks and compiles data from national and local authorities, the media and other sources.

    The United States still has the highest COVID-19 case count in the world; 9,284,966 have contracted the virus, of whom 231,510 have died and 3,674,981 have reportedly recovered.

    India and Brazil, which come next in the list of the most-affected countries, have reached 8,229,313 and 5,545,705 cases total, respectively.

    Follow Sputnik's live feed to find out more. 

    New messages
    • 18:21

      France Reports Over 850 COVID-Related Deaths in 24 Hours

      France has reported 36,330 new COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours, with 854 new fatalities.

      The total death toll from the coronavirus infection in France stands at 38,289, the health ministry said. 

    • 18:04

      Night Curfew to Be Imposed in Hungary From Midnight Until 6 am, PM Orban Says

    • 18:03

      Dutch PM Says the Netherlands to Impose New Restrictions to Reduce Spread of COVID-19

      Public buildings, including museums, will be closed for two weeks, the prime minister said. 

      He added that the authorities have been considering a curfew and closure of schools.

    • 16:52

      Erdogan Announces New Restrictions for Restaurants, Theatres, Swimming Pools, Hairdressers Amid Pandemic

      Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced new restrictions on restaurants, theatres, cinemas, swimming pools and hairdressers amid the coronavirus pandemic, now they can only work until 10 p.m.

      "We must strictly observe mask regime, social distance and hygiene measures. In addition, we are introducing flexible working hours in government agencies and the private sector. The open hours of cafes, restaurants, wedding salons, theatres, cinemas, swimming pools, hairdressing salons are limited until 22.00," Erdogan said.

      Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said earlier that the coronavirus pandemic in Turkey had reached its second peak. The number of detected cases of coronavirus infection on Friday was 2,322, highest since late April.

    • 16:21

      Algerian President Contracts Coronavirus, His Condition Improving - Office

      Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune, who currently undergoes treatment in Germany, has contracted the coronavirus, the president’s office said on Tuesday, adding that his condition was improving.

      In late October, Tebboune was transported to Germany for an in-depth medical examination following a doctor’s recommendation.

      "President Abdelmadjid Tebboune continues treatment in a specialized hospital in Germany after he was diagnosed with the coronavirus," the president’s office said on the official Facebook page.

      The office added that the 74-year-old president’s condition was improving, according to doctors.

      Since the start of the pandemic, nearly 59,000 cases of the coronavirus disease have been registered in Algeria. The North African country's COVID-19 death toll is approaching 2,000.

    • 15:47

      Former US Health Chief Warns Daily COVID-19 Deaths to Top 1,000 for ‘Sustained Period’

      The daily death toll in the United States from the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) will most likely exceed 1,000 due to the latest surge in new infections, former Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Commissioner Scott Gottlieb warned in an interview on Tuesday.

      "The sheer fact that we’re going to be infecting so many people right now is probably going to mean that the death tolls get well above 1,000 for a sustained period of time," Gottlieb told CNBC.

      The US authorities reported more than 84,000 new cases of the virus and 557 new COVID-19-related deaths on Monday, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

      Though the number of deaths recorded on Monday tends to fall far below the average, the United States averaged 835 daily new COVID-19-related deaths per day over the past week, CNBC said, citing Johns Hopkins University data.

      In the last two weeks, new records for the daily new infections were set on multiple days, with the latest reports showing a seven-day average of more than 85,000 cases.

    • 15:46

      Trump Adviser Warns US Entering 'Most Dangerous' COVID-19 Phase, Reports Say

      Dr Deborah Birx, one of President Donald Trump's top medical advisers on the novel coronavirus pandemic, has warned in an internal memorandum that the United States has not turned the corner as the US president claims and is entering the most dangerous period of the outbreak, media reported on Tuesday.

      In the memorandum that was circulated on Monday, Birx contradicted Trump's repeated public assurances that the novel coronavirus threat was declining and urged an all-out response to it, the Washington Post reported.

      Birx’s internal report was circulated to senior White House and medical government officials and contradicted Trump's claims on many points, the report said.

      She urged against holding the mass rallies Trump has continued to conduct throughout his reelection campaign, the report added.

      Birx also warned that new coronavirus cases across the United States will average 100,000 a day through this week, according to the report.

    • 15:10

      What Does North Korea Do to Protect Its People Against Coronavirus?

      North Korean soldiers look as they stand guard along the river bank of the North Korean town of Sinuiju, opposite side to the Chinese border city of Dandong, Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2011

      North Korea Mined Areas on Border With China to Prevent COVID-19 Infiltration, Reports Suggest

      TOKYO (Sputnik) - The South Korean National Intelligence Service (NIS) said that North Korea has mined areas along the border with China to protect the country from the infiltration of COVID-19, Yonhap agency reported on Tuesday.
      Read more
    • 14:53

      Qatar to Help Supply COVID-19 Vaccine to Most Needy Countries, Emir Says

      Qatar will help provide vaccines against the coronavirus disease to the countries that are in dire need of them, Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani announced on Tuesday at the opening of the 49th session of the country's Consultative Council.

      “We will continue to support the international efforts [aimed at] accelerating the development of the necessary vaccine and support aspirations to make it available to the countries in dire need on a fair basis,” the emir said.

      The ruler added that Doha has provided more than 70 countries and international organizations with needed medical assistance during the month-long pandemic.

      Qatar has not yet experienced the second coronavirus wave, the emir said, noting that the authorities stand ready to introduce strict measures in the case of a new COVID-19 outbreak.

      The Persian Gulf state, despite its small territory and population, has long been among the leaders in the Arab world in terms of the increase in coronavirus cases.

      Since the beginning of the pandemic, more than 133,000 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Qatar. Meanwhile, over 130,000 have recovered. A total of 232 people have died, which is one of the lowest COVID-19 death rates in the world.

    • 14:22

      WBC Interim Heavyweight Champion Povetkin Tests Positive for COVID-19, His Promoter Says

      Interim world heavyweight champion of the World Boxing Council (WBC), Russia's Alexander Povetkin, tested positive for the coronavirus infection, the rematch against British opponent Dillian Whyte will be postponed, Russian promoter Andrei Ryabinsky said on Tuesday.

      In late August, Povetkin knocked out Whyte in the fifth round, winning the interim WBC belt. The rematch was scheduled for November 21.

      "We will postpone the fight, because Sasha Povetkin was diagnosed with the coronavirus. Now Sasha is in one of the Moscow clinics and takes care of his health. There will be no fight on November 21," Ryabinsky told reporters.

      "Most likely, we will move on to next year with a rematch. The disease is mild. I will not say that it is asymptomatic, but there are no critical complications," Ryabinsky added.

      Povetkin, who turned 41 in September, won 36 professional fights (25 by knockout), with one draw and two losses. Whyte, 32, has 27 wins (18 by knockout) and two defeats.

    • 13:54

      COVID-19 Cases in Europe Exceed 11 Million, AFP Tally Shows

    • 13:26

      Sweden Reports 10,177 New COVID-19 Cases, Health Ministry Says

      The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Sweden has risen by 10,177 and currently stands at 134,532, the country's health ministry said.

      The death toll rose by 31 to 5,969. 

    • 12:51

      Ukraine on Verge of Collapse due to Growing Number of COVID-19 Cases, Health Minister Says

      Ukraine has come close to the "point of no return" and is nearing a catastrophe because of the growing number of the coronavirus cases, Health Minister Maksim Stepanov told a parliament on Tuesday.

      According to Stepanov, the latest daily increase in new cases in Ukraine reached 8,899.

      "We have come close to the point of no return, we are on the verge of a catastrophe. The situation is critical not just in Ukraine, but in the whole world," the minister said.

    • 12:15

      Hungary Reports 3,989 New COVID-19 Cases

    • 11:54

      Germany Faced More Than 400,000 Daily Coronavirus Cases Without Action

      "The (new) measures can brake the spread of the virus," said Lars Schaade, Vice President of the Robert Koch Institute, the leading authority in Germany on the virus.

    • 11:22

      Italy Imposes Nationwide Curfew, Bans Travel to COVID-19 Hit Regions As Infection Levels Soar

    • 10:44

      Iran Reports Record 8,932 New COVID-19 Cases

    • 09:57

      Moscow to Spend Over $125Mln on Vaccination Against COVID-19 in 2021

      The Moscow authorities will spend 10 billion rubles ($125.3 million) on mass vaccination against the coronavirus disease in 2021, the mayor's office said on Tuesday.

      "We are planning to earmark 12.7 billion rubles [$159.1 million] for the prevention of infectious diseases in 2021, of which 10 billion rubles will be channeled for mass vaccination against the novel coronavirus infection," the office said in a statement.

    • 09:02

      India's COVID-19 Tally Reaches 8,267,623

    • 08:42

      Philippines Reports 1,772 New COVID-19 Cases

    • 07:41

      Russia Records 18,648 Covid-19 Cases in 24 Hours

      Russia has recorded 18,648 Covid-19 cases in 24 hours, which brings the cumulative total to 1,673,686, the federal response centre said Tuesday.

      In the same 24 hours, 15,331 people have been discharged and 355 patients with the coronavirus have died.

      On Monday, Russia recorded a daily increase of 18,257 cases.

      Moscow registered 5,150 new infections in the past 24 hours, the highest number of any region in the country. On Monday, the capital had 4,796 new cases, on Sunday 5,261.

    • 06:51

      Czech Republic Reports 9,241 New Coronavirus Cases

    • 05:05

      Panama President Self Isolates Over COVID-19 Contact

      Panamanian President Laurentino Cortizo is on self isolation after a contact with an infected employee of his administration, the presidential office said.

      "We inform you that the republic's president, Laurentino Cortizo Cohen, will not personally participate in the events of November 3 and 4, as a close employee of the presidential administration tested positive for COVID-19," the presidential office said on Twitter.

      The office said the president had taken SOFIA and PCR tests, and both were negative. However, Cortizo will remain in isolation for several days until the results of another test.

    • 04:55

      Nice Attacker Infected With COVID19, Firefighters, Police Will Have to Get Tested

      The man who carried out the deadly attack in the Basilica of Notre-Dame in Nice had tested positive for COVID-19, the Nice-Matin newspaper reports.

      The rescuers who provided assistance to the attacker after he was shot by police have been declared "contact cases" and have been put in isolation, the newspaper said on Monday.

      BFMTV said on Monday that the firefighters and police who intervened in the attack will all have to get tested for COVID-19.

      On 29 October, a 21-year-old man from Tunisia, later identified as Brahim Aoussaoui, killed three people with a knife in the Notre-Dame Basilica in Nice. The French government has designated it a terrorist attack.

      The attacker was injured by police and is currently at a hospital in Nice.

      Nice Mayor Christian Estrosi said the man repeatedly shouted "Allahu Akbar" (God is great) during the attack. According to the French authorities, the attacker crossed into France from Italy at the start of October.

      An anti-terrorism investigation is underway.

    • 04:36

      Germany Reports 15,352 New Coronavirus Cases

    • 04:36

      Mexico Reports 3,763 New COVID-19 Cases

    live
    COVID-19 Live Updates: Cases in Europe Top 11 Milllion, AFP Tally Shows
    +
    Topic:
    Global COVID-19 Cases Spike to Highest Level Post-Lockdown (247)
    Tags:
    pandemic, infection, COVID-19
    Community standardsDiscussion