08:09 GMT28 November 2020
Listen Live
    World
    Get short URL
    Nagorno-Karabakh: Flare-Up Between Armenia, Azerbaijan (103)
    191710
    Subscribe

    The US State Department announced on Sunday that a new humanitarian ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh was going to enter into force at 8:00 a. m. local time (4:00 GMT) on 26 October.

    Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan says his country is ready to adhere to the new humanitarian ceasefire that came into force early on Monday.

    The president of the self-proclaimed republic of Artsakh (Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh), Arayik Harutyunyan, said Stepanakert was ready to adhere to the new ceasefire deal, reached with the mediation of the United States and with the participation of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs, which reaffirms the parties' commitments to implement the truce agreed upon on 10 and 17 October at the initiative of Russian President Vladimir Putin and his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron.

    New messages
    • 22:40

      Nagorno-Karabakh Authorities Say Two Azerbaijani Drones Destroyed

      YEREVAN (Sputnik) - Vahram Poghosyan, spokesman for the unrecognised Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, said two Azerbaijani drones had been destroyed.

      “Two drones were just shot down thanks to our guys' skill", Poghosyan said.

    • 18:02

      Armenian Defence Ministry Confirms Azerbaijani Army Takes Control of Qubadli

    • 17:32

      Trump Says Ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh 'Holding'

      US President Donald Trump told reporters on Monday that the US-brokered ceasefire between Armenia and Azerbaijan in the Nagorno-Karabakh region is holding.

      "It's holding. The ceasefire is holding," Trump said.

      The ceasefire went into effect on Sunday, however, the Azerbaijan Defense Ministry claimed earlier today that the Armenian military had shelled settlements in the Terter region near the contact line in Nagorno-Karabakh.

      The Armenian Defense Ministry said later that Azerbaijan was using tanks at the contact line in Nagorno-Karabakh and intensifying the fighting.

      The emergency service of the self-proclaimed Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh said that the Azeri forces used the rocket launchers Grad and Smerch and had hit the towns of Martuni, Martakert and Askeran.

      Fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh region reignited on September 27. Armenia and Azerbaijan have accused each other of initiating the hostilities. The international community has strongly condemned the escalation and called on parties to settle the differences via dialogue.

    • 16:36

      UN Deeply Concerned by Reports of Ceasefire Violations in Nagorno-Karabakh, Spokesperson Says

      United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is deeply concerned by the reports of violations of the latest ceasefire between Armenia and Azerbaijan in the Nagorno-Karabakh region, UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said in a press briefing on Monday.

      The US-brokered ceasefire between the two nations came into force on Sunday.

      “We welcome the agreement that was announced yesterday,” Dujarric said. “We are obviously very deeply concerned by the reports that there are already ceasefire violations shortly after the parties agreed to implement the commitments for a third time in recent days.”

    • 15:05

      Armenia Says Baku Using Tanks at Contact Line, Strikes Getting Heavier

      Spokeswoman for the Armenian Defense Ministry Shushan Stepanyan said Monday that Azeri armed forces were using tanks at the contact line in Nagorno-Karabakh and intensifying fire.

      "By 17:00 [13:00 GMT], the intensity of fire along the border of Artsakh [as Karabakh is known in Armenia] has sharply increased," Stepanyan said on Facebook, adding that the other side was using tanks and different types of artillery.

      The emergency service of the self-proclaimed republic of Nagorno-Karabakh said that the Azeri armed forces had hit the towns of Martuni, Martakert, and Askeran using rocket launchers Grad and Smerch.

    • 14:59

      Azerbaijan Does Not Want Solution to Conflict But Capitulation of Nagorno-Karabakh Instead, Pashinyan Says

    • 14:58

      Baku Says Terter Was Shelled With Smerch Rockets While Yerevan Says Ceasefire Not Preserved

      Azerbaijani presidential aide Hikmet Gadzhiev has confirmed that the town of Terter came under rocket and artillery fire. 

      He added that more than 200 artillery shells have been fired at Azerbaijani towns since 8am on Monday. 

    • 14:04

      Russian Security Council Secretary Discusses Karabakh With Armenian Counterpart, Armenian Agency's Press Service Says

    • 13:00

      Armenian Defenсe Ministry Says Heavy Fighting Ongoing in Karabakh's South-East

       The Armenian Defenсe Ministry reported heavy fighting in the south-east of Karabakh despite the ceasefire that entered into force on Monday

      "Intense fighting in Artsakh [Karabakh] south-east," the Armenian Defenсe Ministry's spokesman, Artsrun Hovhannisyan, wrote on Facebook.

    • 12:08

      Azeris Attack Avetarnots Village Despite Ceasefire, One Civilian Killed, Two Others Injured, Karabakh Ombudsman Says

      The human rights commissioner of the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic said on Monday that one civilian was killed and two others injured in an attack that the Azeri military conducted in the village of Avetarnots despite the ceasefire.

      "The office of the Artsakh [Karabakh] human rights commissioner received information that the Azerbaijani side continued shelling settlements in violation of the ceasefire agreement, signed on 25 October. Within one day, a range of settlements were shelled, including the village of Avetarnots in the Askeran district, where one civilian, Gevork Ambartsumyan, was killed and two more civilians, Genrih Adamyan and Andrey Ambartsumyan, were injured one hour ago in volley fire from the Smerch multiple rocket launcher," Artak Beglaryan wrote on Facebook.

    • 10:24

      Karabakh Authorities Says Baku Hit Village in Martuni District With BM-30 Smerch

      The defence army of the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic said on Monday that the Azerbaijani armed forces hit a village in Karabakh's Martuni district with a BM-30 Smerch rocket launcher.

      "Despite the new ceasefire agreement, reached in the United States, the Azerbaijani armed forces attacked positions of a [Karabakh] military unit, deployed in the south-eastern direction of the contact line, and continued shelling peaceful settlements. In particular, at around 13:50 [10:50 GMT], the enemy fired a rocket from the Smerch launcher toward the village of Zardarashen in the Martuni district," the Karabakh army wrote on Facebook.

      According to the statement, Karabakh's troops are trying to repel the Azerbaijani attacks and throw the enemy back to the departure positions.

    • 09:30

      Aliyev Slams Yerevan for Failing to Present Schedule of Troop Exit From Karabakh

      Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said on Monday that Yerevan had not yet presented the schedule of its troops withdrawal from Karabakh, and Baku was not comfortable with that.

      "We have created a new reality, and now everyone should take the new reality into consideration. Look what has started happening as soon as we started releasing our lands from the occupation ... How much pressure we face. My people are aware of my stand, the problem should be solved. If you want it to be solved peacefully, this is fine, you should present the troop withdrawal schedule to us immediately. Armenia has not yet presented this schedule. If the issue remains frozen, we are not OK with that," Aliyev said in his address to the nation.

    • 09:07

      Turkish F-16 Jets Will Be Used in Case of Foreign Aggression Against Azerbaijan, Aliev Says

    • 09:01

      Azerbaijan Will Go to The End if Armenia Does Not Leave Azerbaijan's Territory, Aliyev Says

    • 08:37

      Everyone Apart From Baku is Ok With Frozen Karabakh Conflict, Aliyev Says

    • 08:11

      Pashinyan Says Karabakh Ceasefire Implemented in General Despite Local Provocations

      The new humanitarian ceasefire in Karabakh is being implemented in general despite some local provocations, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said on Monday, after both Armenia and Azerbaijan accused each other of violations.

      "Despite the local provocations, the ceasefire is implemented in general. The Armenian side will keep abiding by the ceasefire," Pashinyan wrote on Facebook.

    • 06:24

      Russia Calls on Foreign Players Not to Promote Military Scenario in Karabakh, Lavrov Says

      A man stands near a house with a row of destroyed barns in the background in Stepanakert, a self-proclaimed Republic of the Nagorno-Karabakh.

      Russia Calls on Foreign Players Not to Promote Military Scenario in Karabakh, Lavrov Says

      MOSCOW (Sputnik) - Russia believes that only a diplomatic solution is possible to the Karabakh crisis and calls on all the external players to abstain from promoting the military scenario, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said in an interview with the Athens News Agency - Macedonian Press Agency.
      Read more
    • 06:22

      Pashinyan Says Armenia in Full Compliance With Karabakh Ceasefire

      Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said on Monday that Yerevan abides by the new humanitarian ceasefire in Karabakh despite the accusations by the Azerbaijani military.

      "The Armenian side keeps strictly abiding by the ceasefire," Pashinyan wrote on Facebook.

    • 05:16

      Armenian Defence Ministry Accuses Azerbaijan of Violating Ceasefire in North-Eastern Area of Contact Line in Karabakh

      The Armenian Defenсe Ministry accused Azerbaijan of violating the new ceasefire that came into force just on Monday.

      "In gross violation of the humanitarian ceasefire agreement, reached in the United States, the Azerbaijani side opened artillery fire on positions of Artsakh [Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Army] in the north-eastern direction of the contact line," the ministry's spokeswoman, Shushan Stepanyan, wrote on Facebook.

    • 05:14

      Azerbaijni Defence Ministry Reports Shelling of Its Positions Located in Lachin District Not Far From Karabakh

      The Azerbaijani Defenсe Ministry claimed on Monday morning that the Armenian armed forces had shelled settlements in the region of Terter near the contact line in Nagorno-Karabakh despite the new US-mediated humanitarian ceasefire agreement.

      "The Armenian armed forces, violating the new humanitarian ceasefire regime, subjected to fire the Tartar city and the villages of the region on October 26," the ministry said.

    • 04:44

      Azerbaijan Accuses Armenia of Violating Ceasefire While Reaffirming Its Own Compliance

      Azerbaijan’s Defenсe Ministry has accused Armenia of violating the new ceasefire that came into force in Nagorno-Karabakh on Monday morning, while at the same time reaffirming its own compliance with the truce.

      "Units of the Azerbaijani Army are fully adhering, along the entire line of contact, to the humanitarian ceasefire which entered into force on 26 October at 08:00," the ministry said on Monday.

      Earlier, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said on Facebook that his country was ready to adhere to the new humanitarian ceasefire.

    live
    Live Updates: Azerbaijan Intensifies Offensive Along Line of Contact, Armenia Says
    +
    Topic:
    Nagorno-Karabakh: Flare-Up Between Armenia, Azerbaijan (103)
    Tags:
    ceasefire, Nagorno-Karabakh, Armenia, Azerbaijan
    Community standardsDiscussion