17:32 GMT19 October 2020
Listen Live
    World
    Get short URL
    6135
    Subscribe

    Yerevan and Baku previously agreed to cease fire in Nagorno-Karabakh starting on 10 October, exchange prisoners and the bodies of those who had been killed during the conflict. However, both sides have repeatedly accused each other of attacks and provocations along the line of contact.

    The conflict between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces in Nagorno-Karabakh (also known as the Republic of Artsakh) escalated on 27 September, when Baku declared a "counter-offensive operation" in the breakaway republic. Armenia declared full mobilisation, and Azerbaijan partial mobilisation, with numerous clashes between their forces occurring in the area.

    The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict began in 1991 when the predominantly Armenian-populated region proclaimed independence from Azerbaijan also stating it planned to join Armenia. Baku and Yerevan waged a full-scale war for the area between 1992 and 1994, leading to the deaths of around 40,000 troops and civilians on both sides.

    A ceasefire was mediated by the OSCE Minsk Group in 1994, but the conflict remained frozen, and the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic still continues to be an unrecognised state.

    Follow Sputnik's Live Feed to Find Out More!

    New messages
    • 01:57

      2 People Injured by Azerbaijani Strikes on Stepanakert, Nagorno-Karabakh's Ombudsman Says

    • 00:33

      Explosions Heard in Stepanakert, Air Raid Warning Goes Off, Sputnik Correspondent Says

    • 00:32

      Death Toll From Ganja Missile Attack Rises To 12 People, Over 40 Others Injured - Azerbaijani General Prosecutor's Office

      "As a result of the missile attack on civilians in central Ganja, 12 people have died and more than 40 have been injured, many civilian facilities and vehicles have been seriously damaged", the General Prosecutor's Office said.

    • 00:06

      Death Toll From Ganja Attack Rises to Over 10 People, Some 40 Injured, Azerbaijani Presidential Assistant Says

    • 23:34

      Death Toll From Missile Attack on Ganja Rises to Six, Azerbaijani Presidential Assistant Says

    • 22:42

      Azerbaijani Presidential Assistant Says Missile Attack on Ganja Has Been Launched From Armenian Territory

    • 22:35

      Five People, Including Two Children, Killed, 35 Injured as Result of Missile Fire at Ganja - Azerbaijani Presidential Assistant

    • 22:30

      Azerbaijani Defence Ministry Calls Armenia's Reports of Downed Drones 'Disinformation'

    • 22:29

      Azerbaijani Presidential Assistant Says 2 People Killed, 23 Injured as Result of Missile Fire at Ganja

    • 21:57

      Over 20 Houses Destroyed by Missile Fire in Azerbaijani City Of Ganja, According to Preliminary Information - Presidential Assistant

    • 21:53

      UNSC to Hold Closed-Door Meeting on Situation in Karabakh on Monday, Source Says

      "A closed meeting on Nagorno-Karabakh will take place on Monday at 3.00 pm", the mission said on Friday evening.

    • 21:46

      Some People Injured as Result of Missile Fire at Azerbaijan's Ganja - Presidential Assistant

    • 21:38

      Armenian Air Defence Forces Down Two Azerbaijani Drones in Its Airspace, Defence Ministry Says

      "The air defence system of the Republic of Armenia has detected flights of the Azerbaijani UAVs to the direction of the Khatsakh, Artsvanik, Davit Bek settlements of the Syunik region of the Republic of Armenia, which was followed by an attack towards military installations of the armed forces of the Republic of Armenia damaging also the civilian infrastructure. Fortunately, no one was killed and wounded", the foreign ministry said.

    • 21:34

      No Rockets Fired Towards Azerbaijan's Ganja, Mingecevir From Armenian Territory, Armenia's Defence Ministry Says

      "Responding to the statements of the military and political leadership of Azerbaijan, no fire at Azerbaijan from the territory of the Republic of Armenia, or by the Armenian armed forces has been opened", Armenian Defence Ministry spokeswoman Shushan Stepanyan said.

    • 21:14

      Azerbaijani Cities of Ganja, Mingecevir Come Under Rocket Attacks - Sputnik Azerbaijan

      According to a Sputnik correspondent, some people may remain under the debris.

    • 20:52

      Azerbaijani Drones Detected in Armenia's Airspace - Armenian Defence Ministry

      "Enemy drones have been found in the airspace of Armenia. Relevant measures are being taken", Armenian Defence Ministry spokeswoman Shushan Stepanyan wrote on her Facebook page on late Friday.

    • 19:58

      Air Raid Warning Cancelled in Armenian City of Kaplan, Emergencies Ministry Says

    • 19:45

      Armenian Authorities Clarify That Air Raid Warning Announced Only in City of Kapan

      According to Armenia's emergencies ministry, the air raid warning sounded in the cities of Goris and Meghri by technical mistake.

      All three cities are located in the south of Armenia, close to Nagorno-Karabach.

    • 19:36

      Air Raid Warning Announced in Armenian Cities of Goris, Meghri, Kapan - Sputnik Armenia

    • 19:25

      Baku Blacklists Russian Lawmaker Milonov Over Visit to Karabakh - Foreign Ministry

      "We strongly condemn the illegal visit of Vitaly Milonov, a member of the Russian State Duma from the ruling party United Russia, to the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region of the Republic of Azerbaijan. This illegal visit, which took place in the context of the new aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan and openly supported the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, completely contradicts the relations between Azerbaijan and Russia at a high level", the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told Sputnik.

      According to the ministry, "such an irresponsible step by a State Duma member does not correspond to Russia's official position in support of the territorial integrity of the Republic of Azerbaijan".

      "The name of Vitaly Milonov is included in the list of foreign citizens who are prohibited from entering Azerbaijan for illegally visiting the occupied territories of the country in violation of the relevant legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan", it said.

      In 2013, Baku published a blacklist of foreigners who visited the territory of the unrecognised Nagorno-Karabakh Republic without the consent of the Azerbaijani authorities. Persons from the list are not allowed to Azerbaijan.

    • 18:44

      Trudeau in Call with Pashinyan Vows to Work With Partners to De-Escalate Karabakh Conflict

      TORONTO (Sputnik) – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Friday said he told his Armenian counterpart Nikol Pashinyan during a phone conversation that Canada would work with its international partners to put an end to the violence in Nagorno Karabakh.

      "This morning, I spoke with Prime Minister Pashinyan of Armenia to express our concern about the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh. I told him that Canada will continue to work extremely hard with all of our allies to put an end to the violence", Trudeau said at a press briefing.

      Trudeau reiterated his desire to see the warring parties come to the negotiating and table and find a diplomatic solution to the decades-long conflict.

       

    • 18:20

      UN Chief Will Speak to Azerbaijan Foreign Minister Regarding Karabakh Friday

      UNITED NATIONS (Sputnik) - UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres remains personally engaged with the leaders of Azerbaijan and Armenia regarding the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and is scheduled to speak to Azerbaijan Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov later on Friday, United Nations spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said during a press briefing.

      "The Secretary-General has continued his personal engagement on this issue. He spoke yesterday with the Foreign Minister of Armenia", Dujarric said. "Today, he is scheduled at some point, it could be very soon, about this afternoon [to speak] with the Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan."

      Guterres is very concerned about the impact of the conflict on the civilian population and his message to both sides has conveyed the need for implementing and fully respecting the ceasefire for humanitarian purposes, Dujarric said.

      While the conflict remains dynamic, it is crucial that Armenia and Azerbaijan quickly move toward de-escalation to mitigate the risk of further destabilising the region, Dujarric added.

    • 18:05

      Sirens Sound as Explosions Heard in Stepanakert

    • 16:43

      Turkey Condemns Armenian 'Airstrike' on Nakhchivan

    • 16:32

      Azerbaijan's MoD Publishes Video of 'Retaken' Hadrut

    • 14:31

      Azerbaijan’s Forces Take Control Over Three More Settlements in Karabakh, President Aliyev Says

    • 14:10

      UK Calls on Azerbaijan, Armenia to Abide by Ceasefire

      LONDON (Sputnik) – The UK government condemned on Friday the reported continued shelling of civilian areas in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh and urged Azerbaijan and Armenia to abide by the ceasefire agreed on 10 October in Moscow.

      "It is therefore imperative that the parties to the conflict stop the violence immediately, abide by the 10 October agreement and return to substantive negotiations under the auspices of the Minsk Group Co-Chairs", the UK said in a statement quoting a speech delivered at the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe Permanent Council.

      In his address, the deputy head of the UK delegation Nicola Murray also called all external parties and friends of Azerbaijan and Armenia to redouble their efforts in support of an end to hostilities and to abstain from taking actions that could risk further exacerbating the crisis.

      After stressing that the UK has been advocating for a long time for a comprehensive resolution of the conflict, Murray said a solution can only be achieved through a negotiated settlement and not through military action.

      "All parties must urgently return to the negotiating table to work toward this aim without preconditions", he added.

    • 13:44

      Political Settlement of Karabakh Conflict Impossible Without Turkey, Aliyev Says

      At the same time, Aliyev stressed that the establishment of a Turkish military base in Azerbaijan has never been discussed.

    • 13:32

      Baku Not Planning to Move Conflict to Armenian Territory, Azerbaijan's President Says

      "We have no military goals, plans in Armenia. We have no plans to move the military campaign to Armenia", the president said in an interview with the Turkish broadcaster A Haber.

      He added that it was too early to speak of peacekeepers entering the Karabakh region, where Baku and Yerevan are locked in conflict.

      "The administration of the Russian president has justly remarked that the issue must be decided with the agreement of both sides. As I have repeatedly said, the basic principles include an item on peacekeepers. But at the very last stage. After the territory has been de-occupied, after refugees have returned. Today, it is too early to speak about that", Aliyev said.

    • 13:19

      Baku Has Info About Arms Being Smuggled From Russia to Yerevan on Civilian Planes, Azerbaijani President Says

      "We have the information that weapons are being smuggled from Georgia on civilian and cargo planes. Armenia has recently bought a plane, as far as we know, it cost $30-40 million. Rich Armenian business people who live in Russia bought it — Karapetyan, Abramyan, and others. They are sending Armenians from Russia to Karabakh as mercenaries. And buying Il-76 allowed them to transport arms illegally", the president said.

      According to Aliyev, Baku learned that Armenia smuggled rockets from Russia.

      "We officially turned to the International Civil Aviation Organisation, this is an international crime. The official agencies in Russia explained that Russia was not sending weapons to Armenia", Aliyev said in an interview with Turkish broadcaster A Haber.

    • 09:52

      Armenian Minister Expresses Concern to CSTO Chief Over Azerbaijani Ceasefire Violations

      YEREVAN (Sputnik) - Armenian Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan has expressed his concern over alleged ceasefire violations committed by the Azerbaijani armed forces in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh, the Armenian Foreign Ministry's press department said on Friday after Mnatsakanyan held talks with the Collective Security Treaty Organisation (CSTO) secretary-general, Stanislav Zas.

      During their conversation on Thursday, Mnatsakanyan is said to have reiterated Armenia's commitment to the Russian-brokered truce agreed on Saturday in Moscow. The foreign minister also "expressed concern over Azerbaijan's failure to fulfil its obligations as it continues striking civilian settlements in Artsakh [self-designation for the breakaway Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh]", the ministry said.

      Mnatsakanyan is also said to have told Zas that any Azerbaijani encroachment on Armenian territory was inadmissible, adding that the people of Nagorno-Karabakh have the "right to live freely and safely in their historical homeland", as quoted by the ministry.

      Turkey's involvement in the conflict also poses a risk to the collective security of the CSTO, the Armenian foreign minister said, adding that Yerevan will continually update the organisation of the latest developments.

    • 09:42

      Azerbaijani Military Says Armenian Air Force Struck Nakhchivan - Photos

      "A tactical rocket was launched on 15 October at 10:44 a.m. local time [6:44 GMT] by the Armenian armed forces from the occupied Qubadli district and exploded in the Ordubad area of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic. No civilians or civilian property were affected", the ministry said.

    • 09:31

      Armenian MoD Publishes New Video of Azerbaijani Military Hardware Destruction

    • 09:09

      Baku Says 47 Azerbaijani Civilians Have Died Since Beginning of Clashes

    • 07:55

      Nagorno-Karabakh Confirms 633 of Its Soldiers Have Died Since Start of Conflict

    • 06:24

      Yerevan Says Baku Lost at Least 120 Soldiers, Six Military Vehicles Over Past Day

    • 06:03

      Azerbaijan Accuses Armenia of Shelling Areas Near Contact Line in Karabakh

      BAKU (Sputnik) - The Armenian Armed Forces continued shelling areas near the contact line in Nagorno-Karabakh on Friday morning, despite a humanitarian ceasefire, the Azerbaijani Defence Ministry claimed.

      "Today, starting from the morning the armed forces of Armenia, in gross violation of the humanitarian ceasefire regime, have been subjecting to fire the regions of Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam, and Aghjabadi", the ministry said.

    live
    Live Updates: Over 20 Houses Destroyed by Missile Fire in Azerbaijan's Ganja, Presidential Aide Says
    +
    Tags:
    Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Armenia, Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Nagorno-Karabakh
    Community standardsDiscussion