07:24 GMT +313 November 2019
Listen Live
    UCL workers demonstrating to end outsourcing on 29 Oct 2019

    Largest Strike of Outsourced Workers at UK Universities Voted Through at University College London

    © Photo : Pietro Sambuy
    World
    Get short URL
    by
    0 40
    Subscribe

    Cleaners, porters, and security officers have voted overwhelmingly in favour of a strike action at University College London (UCL), London's largest university.

    According to the Independent Workers' Union of Great Britain (IWGB), the first strike will take place on 19 November and will be the biggest strike of outsourced workers in UK higher education history.

    The IWGB says they balloted almost 300 workers "as part of the union's campaign to end outsourcing and zero hours contracts at UCL".

    According to the IWGB, the ballot demands that, "the facilities management companies that manage the security and cleaning contracts, Axis and Sodexo, give the outsourced workers the same terms and conditions as UCL's direct employees". The IWGB launched an appeal to raise money for the strike fund on 6 November.

    In September 2017, the IWGB won a commitment from the University of London (which UCL is a part of) to bring outsourced workers in-house by July 2018. However, the IWGB reports that since that agreement, "only 10% of the workers have been brought in-house, and a boycott of the university is ongoing until there are concrete plans for the insourcing of the remaining 90%".

    Tags:
    strikes, UCL, University of London, neoliberalism, outsourcing, labour market, labour
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik