According to the Argentine Navy spokesman Captain Enrique Baldi, an "anomalous, singular, short, violent and non-nuclear event consistent with an explosion" had been detected near the last known location of the missing submarine shortly after the last communication with the crew had taken place.
"We will proceed with the attempts to detect [the submarine], until we have accurate data or other evidence that might be verified," Balbi said.
At the same time, the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) has registered an "an underwater impulsive event" in the vicinity of the last known position of the disappeared Argentine submarine on November 15, Spanish media reported.
The revelation comes after an analysis has revealed that an item found by the US Navy plane P-8A Poseidon in the ocean was "not from the lost sub," the US embassy in Argentina has stated as quoted by Reuters, commenting the reports of an unidentified object being detected in the area where the missing Argentine submarine had sent its last signal.
The San Juan submarine with a crew of 44 on board lost contact with its command on November 15 following reports of a mechanical failure, prompting the launch of a large-scale search and rescue operation. A number of states, including the US, the UK and China have been assisting in the search operation, while the Russian Defense Ministry has just sent a deep-sea craft to help Argentine authorities.
Shortly before making its last contact, the submarine’s captain reported it had experienced a "short circuit," and was told to change course and return to base.