19:42 GMT +317 October 2019
Listen Live
    US Vice President Mike Pence delivers a speech next to Estonia's President Kersti Kaljulaid as they visit NATO's Enhanced Forward Presence mission and Estonian troops in Tallinn, Estonia July 31, 2017.

    US Prepared to Help Spain to Punish Persons Responsible for Barcelona Terror Act

    © REUTERS / Ints Kalnins
    World
    Get short URL
    Terrorist Attacks in Catalonia (107)
    321
    Subscribe

    The United States is ready to provide all necessary help to Spanish authorities to locate and punish those who organized and carried out a terror attack in Barcelona, Vice President Mike Pence said in a speech at the Cocoli Locks in Panama on Thursday.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — Pence reiterated President Donald Trump's earlier statement that the United States denounces the terror attack and underlined that "the scenes of carnage and mayhem sickens us all."

    "Whatever inspired today's attack, the United States stands ready to assist the people of Spain to find and punish those responsible," Pence said. "Our prayers… are with victims and families, and the good people of Spain."

    Earlier in the day, a van hit pedestrians in Barcelona’s central Ramblas area. Catalonia’s authorities confirmed that 13 people were killed and over 50 were injured in the incident, which was qualified as a terrorist act. The Islamic State terrorist group (IS, outlawed in Russia) claimed responsibility for the attack.

    Topic:
    Terrorist Attacks in Catalonia (107)

    Related:

    Driss Oukabir Who Rented Barcelona Attack Van Reports Theft of Documents
    Belgium Follows Situation in Barcelona, Security Measures Unchanged
    US House Speaker Ryan, Minority Leader Pelosi Condemn Barcelona Van Attack
    Tags:
    terror attack, van, Mike Pence, Barcelona, United States
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik