WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — Calvo urged 160,000 US citizens and tens of thousands of tourists on the island to go through their lives as usual. He added he had been assured by US military of "a multilayer defense" in place in the western Pacific.
"Obviously, for our administration, and for the people of Guam, there is concern and worry, but there is no panic," Eddie Baza Calvo said in an interview with the US television channel Fox News.
"America community such as Guam, as well as other American communities, will be protected," the governor said.
North Korea said early Thursday a plan of a missile strike near Guam, which hosts several US military bases, would be prepared by mid-August. But Calvo estimated this was a third or fourth time Pyongyang had made such a threat specifically to the island since 2013.