Iraqi government spokesman Saad Hudaythi told Sputnik earlier in the day that the Iraqi government is against having foreign ground forces on its territory and has only asked the US-led coalition to intensify airstrikes.
“The Government of Iraq was of course briefed in advance of [US Defense] Secretary Carter’s announcement,” Kerry stated at a meeting of 28 NATO foreign ministers. “I can assure you that as the plans are developed, it will be in full consultation and with the full consent of the Iraqi Government.”
US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said on Tuesday that a new special operations force would be sent to fight ISIL militants in Iraq. Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Abadi said the same day that any foreign ground operation in Iraq required approval of local authorities.
The ISIL is a violent terrorist group infamous for public beheadings and other atrocities, it is outlawed in many countries, including Russia and the United States.