Updated 4:13 p.m. Moscow Time
DONETSK, October 1 (RIA Novosti) – About 40 people were injured during artillery shelling of the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk, a local hospital spokesman told RIA Novosti Wednesday.
"About 40 injured have been taken to our hospital, some of them are in grave and extremely grave condition," the spokesman said.
He added that three of the injured died on the way to hospital.
Earlier on Wednesday, the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR), reported that 10 people died as a result of shelling of Donetsk. DPR Deputy Prime Minister of Andrei Purgin noted that 8 people were killed when a shell hit a taxi van, where they were sitting. Another 2 people died when a shell hit a school building. None of them were children.
Later, Purgin said that the death toll from the shelling had risen to 11.
Purgin also noted that, despite the ceasefire agreement signed between representatives of Kiev and the self-proclaimed republics of Donetsk and Luhansk in the Belarusian capital of Minsk on September 5, daily shooting continues in the vicinity of the Donetsk airport.
On September 27, the head of the Luhansk People's Republic (LPR), Igor Plotnitsky, said the trilateral Contact Group on Ukraine is prepared to take part in another round of talks in Minsk, though the exact date of the meeting has not been established.
A day earlier, Purgin said the DPR does not see the point of a new meeting in Minsk, until previous agreements have been completed.