MOSCOW, September 30 (RIA Novosti) - Protests in support of the Hong Kong pro-democracy movement will take place in 10 European and six US cities on Wednesday, October 1, according to the Facebook page of the "United for Democracy: Global Solidarity With Hong Kong" group.
The group launched the page to encourage worldwide community to join solidarity actions around the world. The rallies will take place in the following locations:
- Copenhagen: from 4 to 7 p.m. (from 14:00 to 17:00 GMT)
- Glasgow: from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. (from 10:00 to 16:00 GMT)
- Edinburgh: from 1 to 3 p.m. (from 12:00 to 14:00 GMT)
- Hamburg: from 4 to 6 p.m. (from 14:00 to 16:00 GMT)
- London: at 7 p.m. (at 18:00 GMT)
- Manchester: from 6 to 9 p.m. (from 17:00 to 20:00 GMT)
- Newcastle: from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. (from 12:30 to 13:30 GMT)
- Oslo: from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. (from 14:30 to 15:30 GMT)
- Paris: from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. (from 16:30 to 19:30 GMT)
- Stockholm: from 2 to 3 p.m. (from 12:00 to 13:00 GMT)
- Boston: from 7:30 to 9 p.m. (from 23:30 to 01:00 GMT)
- Houston: from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. (from 14:30 to 16:30 GMT)
- Middlebury: all day
- Providence: at 9:30 a.m. (at 13:30 GMT)
- Seattle: at 7 p.m. (at 02:00 GMT)
- Washington, D.C.: from 6 to 8 p.m.
In addition to the European and US cities, the list also includes such cities as Auckland, Christchurch, Palmerston North, Melbourne, Kaohsiung, Taipei, Seoul, Halifax, Montreal, and Toronto.
Thousands of people have taken to the streets of Hong Kong to take part in protests against Chinese government plans to control the 2017 election in Hong Kong that began on September 26. Dozens of protesters have been detained during the demonstrations.
Hong Kong Chief Executive CY Leung stated Tuesday that "an illegal gathering" would not force Beijing to back down on political reform.