12:01 GMT +323 September 2019
Listen Live
    World

    Russian Foreign Minister: Iran, P5+1 Deal 95% Agreed

    World
    Get short URL
    Iran's nuclear program (274)
    0 13
    Subscribe

    The deal between the P5+1 group on the Iranian nuclear program and Iran itself is 95 percent agreed, but the remaining 5 percent is "where the devil is," Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said in an interview with Bloomberg TV.

    Updated 04:23 a.m. Moscow time.

    NEW YORK, September 28 (RIA Novosti) – The deal between the P5+1 group on the Iranian nuclear program and Iran itself is 95 percent agreed, but the remaining 5 percent is "where the devil is," Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said in an interview with Bloomberg TV.

    "I think we are moving. We are moving in the right direction. Some 95 percent maybe of the deal, if you take the paper, which is being negotiated, is agreed. But the remaining 5 percent is where the devil is, two or three very difficult issues," Lavrov said.

    "[The issues are] Difficult, I mean, they're resolvable, but difficult from the point of view of making a political decision to compromise on both sides," he added.

    "We - together with China - proposed [a] couple of formulations which can be useful. They are not rejected. The consultations, negotiations would continue. We still have [a] couple of months before the date which was targeted, November 24. So, I am cautiously optimistic," the minister said.

    On September 24, the P5+1 group of international mediators, which includes Russia, the United States, the United Kingdom, France, China, and Germany, met with the Iranian delegation in New York to discuss the Iranian nuclear program, though failed to reach an agreement with Tehran on any of the key issues.

    The West accuses Tehran of working on a nuclear weapon under the guise of a civilian nuclear program – claims repeatedly denied by Iranian authorities. At a meeting, held in November 2013 in Geneva, Iran and the P5+1 group agreed to reach a long-term nuclear agreement by July 2014. The deadline was later moved to November 2014.

    Topic:
    Iran's nuclear program (274)
    Tags:
    Iran’s nuclear program, P5+1, Sergei Lavrov
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik