06:14 GMT +319 June 2019
Listen Live
    World

    Yemeni Health Minister: At least 270 People Killed in Sanaa Fighting

    World
    Get short URL
    0 21

    At least 270 people were killed during last week's clashes between the government forces and followers of the Shiite Houthi movement in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, Health Minister Ahmed al-Ansi said Thursday.

    MOSCOW, September 25 (RIA Novosti) – At least 270 people were killed during last week's clashes between the government forces and followers of the Shiite Houthi movement in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, Health Minister Ahmed al-Ansi said Thursday.

    In total, rescue teams have found "270 bodies of civilians and servicemen who died in the armed clashes," the minister said as quoted by Elaph daily. At least 460 people sustained injures in the fighting.

    Shiites have been protesting against the incumbent government since mid-August.

    Hundreds of residents were forced to flee the capital of the country for fear of escalation in violence.

    On Sunday, the government and Shiite Houthis signed an agreement to end days of fighting but the rebels remain in control of the ministries and government buildings.

    Tags:
    casualties, Yemen
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik