KIEV, September 11 (RIA Novosti) - Kiev-led forces have formed a continuous line of defense in east of the country, fortified their positions and deployed reinforcements during the current ceasefire, a spokesperson for Ukraine’s National Security and Defense Council said Thursday.
“It is a solid, continuous line, which eliminates the chances of encirclement of Ukrainian troops,” Andriy Lysenko said.
“This line has been fortified and reinforced with additional units,” the official said.
Earlier in the day, Russian Foreign Minister Spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said the ceasefire in Ukraine was fragile and there was mounting evidence of the Kiev government strengthening its military groups in different areas.
Representatives from Ukraine, Russia and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) agreed to a ceasefire between Kiev and Ukrainian independence supporters during the September 5 meeting of the Contact Group on Ukraine in Minsk.
The ceasefire came into force at 15:00 GMT the same day, but both the Ukrainian military and independence fighters have since accused each other of violating the agreement.