KIEV, September 7 (RIA Novosti) - The Ukrainian military has lost 864 people, while 3,215 have been wounded since the beginning of the military confrontation in the east of the country, the press-service representative of the National Security and Defense Council Vladimir Polevoy said.
"The total losses since the start of the anti-terrorist operation are as follows: 864 of our soldiers were killed and 3215 were wounded," Polevoy said during a briefing on Sunday.
The representative also said that the information was still specified about whether there had been casualties on the Ukrainian side in the last days.
In early September, the speaker of the National Security Council Andriy Lysenko reported that since the start of the military operation, some 846 Ukrainian soldiers were killed and 3,072 were wounded.
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe’s (OSCE) website has published the full text of the protocol signed on Friday after a meeting of the trilateral Contact Group in Minsk concerning the situation in Ukraine. According to the agreement, Ukrainian authorities are required to adopt a law prohibiting the prosecution and punishment of individuals who participated in events “in certain areas” of Donetsk and Luhansk regions in Eastern Ukraine.
Ukraine has been engulfed in violent internal conflict since mid-April, when Kiev began its military operation against independence supporters in the southeastern regions of the country. According to United Nations’ estimates, over 2,500 people have been killed and more than 6,000 wounded since the start of the offensive.