MOSCOW, September 1 (RIA Novosti) - The decision regarding a temporary ban preventing British jihadists from re-entering the United Kingdom will be announced by Prime Minister David Cameron on Monday, BBC reported.
"The government is considering a range of measures to keep the country safe in the face of an increased threat level from Islamist extremism. The areas include making it harder for potential foreign fighters to travel abroad by making it easier to remove their passports through additional temporary seizure powers at the border," a government source told the BBC on Sunday.
"We are also looking at stopping British citizens from re-entering the country if they are suspected of terrorist activity abroad," the source added.
Although British nationals suspected of fighting in the Syrian war would keep their citizenship, suspects would be prevented from re-entering the United Kingdom for some time.
The plans drawn up to counter Islamic State (IS) threats will include a right to seize the passports of suspected terrorists travelling aboard, BBC reported.
Defense Secretary Michael Fallon told Sky News that the British government’s new tactics were "not a knee-jerk reaction," but necessary in dealing with "some gaps" in "our current armory."
He claimed a "number of young men [were] going to Syria and slipping back again" but admitted the government did not know exactly how many Britons had gone to Syria and Iraq to fight.
Some 500 people from the United Kingdom are suspected of terrorist activities in Syria and Iraq, with 69 suspects arrested in the country so far.
The anti-terrorism plans are expected to be announced Monday afternoon in a Commons statement.