MOSCOW, August 22 (RIA Novosti) — A group of journalists from several Russian media outlets, including Rossiya Segodnya, ITAR-TASS and NTV television, came under mortar fire in violence-torn eastern Ukraine, a spokesman for self-proclaimed Luhansk People’s Republic said Friday.
The group was covering clashes between Kiev-led forces and independence supporters in the city of Luhansk.
“No casualties among journalists have been reported,” Petr Mikhailov told RIA Novosti, adding that a 7-year old girl was severely injured.
He also said that firing became a regular activity aimed at spreading panic among the residents of Luhansk. Mikhailov said that even though no endemics were recorded in Luhansk, local mortuaries are not coping as the number of killed in mortar firings is increasing.
For almost two weeks the situation in Luhansk has remained unchanged – the city has no electricity or communication, as well as no food, water or fuel supplies.
Since mid-April, Ukrainian authorities have been conducting a special military operation against independence supporters in eastern regions of the country. The fighting has involved armored vehicles, heavy artillery and air strikes, and claimed hundreds civilian lives.
Earlier this month, Russia sent a humanitarian convoy to help the residents of the crisis-torn city survive. But the delivery of the humanitarian aid has been significantly delayed due to numerous procedures at the Ukrainian customs.