KIEV, August 17 (RIA Novosti) - Right Sector militants will continue to fight against the militia forces in the east of Ukraine and will not march on Kiev, because the authorities partially complied with the demands presented by the movement, the leader of the organization Dmitry Yarosh said.
On Saturday, the Right Sector ultranationalist movement addressed to the president of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko, demanding to carry out purges of staff in the Interior Ministry and to close all criminal cases against members of the organization. In case it does not happen within 48 hours, Right Sector promised to withdraw from the frontline and to move to the Ukrainian capital.
"We were informed that all of our brothers had been released, and the issue of Evdokimov [First Deputy Interior Minister of Ukraine Vladimir Evdokimov] is now being approached by the Cabinet. We very much hope to see him resigned. We understand that though this victory is a small one, it is still a victory. So, given the situation at the frontline, we remain at our posts," Yarosh said in a Youtube video on Sunday.
In turn, Interior Minister Arsen Avakov responded to the ultimatum of the Right Sector on Sunday, accusing Yarosh of lying to his own people. Avakov doubted that the Right Sector militants were present anywhere near the frontline and claimed nobody had actually seen them "other than on photo and video." The minister also noted that the issue of Evdokimov had already been considered before Yarosh had announced his ultimatum.
Members of the Right Sector movement were among those, who clashed with police and seized administrative buildings in Ukraine in January, prior to the February 22 government coup. Moscow has repeatedly called on Kiev to disarm Right Sector.