12:05 GMT +323 September 2019
Listen Live
    World

    Trial of Accused Russian Hacker Most Likely to Be Postponed – Defendant's Father

    World
    Get short URL
    0 43
    Subscribe

    A court hearing in case against Russian citizen Roman Seleznev, accused by the American authorities of hacking, most likely will be postponed, Valeriy Seleznev, the defendant's father and a parliamentarian from Russia’s Liberal Democratic Party, said Monday.

    MOSCOW, July 21 (RIA Novosti) – A court hearing in case against Russian citizen Roman Seleznev, accused by the American authorities of hacking, most likely will be postponed, Valeriy Seleznev, the defendant's father and a parliamentarian from Russia’s Liberal Democratic Party, said Monday.

    “Lawyers are requesting the judge to postpone the hearing which was scheduled to be held on July 22 in Guam and to open another case on the illegal detention, and subsequently to consider immediate release of Roman Seleznev,” the Russian lawmaker said.

    Earlier, Valeriy Seleznev said that his son had been detained on the basis of an Interpol warrant, which was issued retroactively.

    “I knew that my son is not guilty but now I have evidence that he was arrested on non-existent warrant,” the Russian parliamentarian said.

    A 30-year-old Russian citizen, Roman Seleznev was arrested on July 5, in an airport in the Maldives. Seleznev was taken to the US island of Guam.

    US authorities accused Roman Seleznev of hacking into point-of-sale systems at a number of US shops to steal credit card data from customers. The Russian citizen faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted of bank fraud, while the other charges also carry significant sentences.

    The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs called the incident an unfriendly move by the US and a de facto kidnapping.

    Tags:
    hackers, Interpol, Roman Seleznev
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik