KIEV, May 30 (RIA Novosti) – Ukrainian forces are planning to continue the Kiev regime’s special operation in the country's southeast until they reach a complete stabilization in the region, Ukraine's interim Defense Minister Mykhailo Koval said Friday.
“We will work until this region begins to live normally… and until the people [begin] to live in peace,” Koval said.
The Ukrainian army has freed the southern and western parts of the Donetsk region, as well as the north of the region of Luhansk during the operation, the minister said.
One of the main goals of the Ukrainian military is re-establishing the regular functioning of the Kiev interim authorities on the freed territory, he added.
Media reports earlier emerged that Ukraine’s security forces planned to complete the operation against federalists in the country’s east by June 14.
The Ukrainian security operation in southeastern Ukraine is continuing despite a memorandum on peace and accord adopted by the parliament ahead of the May 25 presidential vote. The operation has killed scores of people on both sides.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said earlier that Ukraine must immediately move to stop violence and launch nationwide dialogue following a presidential vote in the country.
The self-proclaimed Donetsk and Luhansk people’s republics in eastern Ukraine held referendums on self-determination on May 11, with over 90 percent of voters supporting greater autonomy.