KIEV, May 27 (RIA Novosti) – Ukraine has issued a surrender-or-die ultimatum to self-defense forces in the restive city of Donetsk, in eastern Ukraine, a spokesperson at the headquarters of the ongoing special operation told journalists Tuesday.
“The command of the Anti-Terrorist Operation has guaranteed safety to those who are ready to lay down their weapons,” said Vladislav Seleznyov.
He added that the headquarters had earlier offered activists fighting for greater autonomy of the eastern Donetsk region in Ukraine the opportunity to surrender, but the self-defense forces had allegedly turned it down.
Seleznyov said the Ukrainian military leadership had come up with “another ultimatum.” It threatened to destroy the rebels with “high-precision weapons” if they continue to offer resistance to Ukraine’s armed forces.
He also denied media reports that talked about civilian casualties after pro-Kiev troops carried out series of air strikes at the Donetsk airport. Alexander Boroday, of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic, earlier said Kiev’s offensive killed a hundred protesters and civilians, while the Donetsk administration estimated the number of casualties at 40.
After claiming victory in the presidential election, Petro Poroshenko said the special operation in eastern Ukraine should continue and become more effective.
Commenting on this remark, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said intensifying the military operations in southeastern Ukraine would not facilitate a warm reception for Poroshenko.