KIEV, May 27 (RIA Novosti) – Ukrainian troops have resumed the Kiev authorities’ special operation in the east of the country, which had been suspended for Sunday’s presidential election, acting Deputy Prime Minister Vitaliy Yarema said Tuesday.
“Now it has re-started, and yesterday you saw the results,” Yarema said, adding that security forces will continue their attacks “until the territory of Ukraine is free of protesters.”
Yarema did not comment on the duration of the operation, adding that the most recent clashes on Monday are now under investigation.
Monday’s clashes began when forces loyal to Kiev launch an attack at the Donetsk airport. The self-defense forces retreated after being bombed by Ukrainian aircraft. National Guard units of the Kiev regime began moving toward the center of the city, but federalists blocked their path with vehicles, and a firefight broke out.
Since March, anti-government protests have been spreading across southeastern regions of the country, where people refuse to recognize the interim government in Kiev and have called for federalization. Ukraine’s new interim authorities, backed by radical ultranationalist groups, launched a special operation to crack down on the protesters in mid-April.
Moscow has called on Kiev to immediately stop the military operation. Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said last week that the operation "has turned into a terrorizing campaign against the citizens of Ukraine on the grounds of their political beliefs."