Russia may take additional measures to ensure the safety of Russian nationals in Yemen, which is teetering on the brink of a civil war, Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said on Thursday.
"Depending on how the situation in Yemen unfolds, we do not rule out taking additional to ensure the safety of our citizens," Lukashevich told reporters in Moscow.
A pro-democracy uprising against the 33-year rule of President Ali Abdullah Saleh has developed into an armed conflict drawing in U.S. airstrikes.
Lukashevich did not say exactly what measures could be taken.
He said the number of diplomats at the embassy in Sanaa and consulate general in Adana had been trimmed.
Washington says it is trying to prevent Islamist militants from taking control of the impoverished state, amid concerns that al Qaeda operatives might have mingled with the protesters.
Saleh was badly wounded in a bomb attack on his Sanaa compound on Friday.
The government said the 69-year-old leader would return to work within a week despite reports that burns cover 40 percent of his body.
MOSCOW, June 9 (RIA Novosti)