A new government formed in Benghazi in east Libya by former justice minister Mustafa Abdel Jalil will work for three months to prepare democratic elections of the head of state in the country, the ex-minister said in an interview with Al-Jazeera TV channel on Sunday.
The ex-justice minister resigned from his post on February 21 in protest against the bloody suppression by Libya's ruler Muammar Gaddafi of anti-government protests in the country.
Jalil said that a decision on forming the "caretaker government" had been made at a joint extraordinary meeting of local people's committees in the country's eastern regions currently under control of anti-government insurgent forces.
The ex-justice minister said the interim government would include both civilians and persons from the military.
Jalil ruled out any negotiations with Gaddafi on his departure from the country and said that Gaddafi would face a tribunal in Libya.
Violent nationwide protests demanding the end of Gaddafi's 42-year rule are currently raging across Libya. National authorities clamped down on the protests. According to international organizations, between 600 and 1,000 people were killed and another 4,000 wounded in the clashes. The Libyan authorities have vowed to continue to suppress the opposition.
CAIRO, February 27 (RIA Novosti)