The United States has no plans to file an extradition request for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who turned himself to London police on Tuesday, a State Department spokesman said.
Last week, Swedish prosecutors issued an arrest warrant for the 39-year-old Australian on sexual assault charges. Assange denies the allegations.
"Well, our investigation is ongoing. And beyond that, as to his arrest, this is, at this point, an issue between Britain and Sweden," Philip Crowley said.
He also said the U.S. did not provide information to British courts and has no plans to do so in the future.
"I cannot say that the United States has been drawn into this issue this morning. This is an issue where British authorities have arrested him based on a warrant for his extradition to Sweden," Crowley said.
He also dismissed earlier media reports that the United States would not reshuffle its diplomats, who were compromised by WikiLeaks revelations.
"I don't expect that to happen... We would not expect to make any significant, vast changes. We hope that will not be necessary. And as we've pledged, we will work with other governments," Crowley said.
WikiLeaks came under increasing international pressure after it had public more than 250,000 confidential U.S. diplomatic cables, which contain, in particular, harsh comments about many world leaders.
WASHINGTON, December 8 (RIA Novosti)