11:39 GMT +327 March 2017
Live
    World

    Iran rejects reports of slower nuclear work

    World
    Get short URL
    0 1 0 0

    "There has been no slowing, no halt or retreat in Iran's peaceful nuclear program. Our [nuclear] activities continue," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said.

    TEHRAN, August 26 (RIA Novosti) - Iran rejected Sunday reports that it has recently scaled down its controversial nuclear activities.

    Iran has been at the center of international concerns over its nuclear program, which some countries, particularly the United States, suspect is geared toward nuclear weapons development. Tehran has consistently denied the claims, saying it needs nuclear power for civilian purposes.

    "There has been no slowing, no halt or retreat in Iran's peaceful nuclear program. Our [nuclear] activities continue," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said.

    The Iranian diplomat said his country had agreed as planned with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on a timetable to clear up remaining questions over the Islamic Republic's controversial nuclear program.

    Iran has come under pressure for rejecting three consecutive UN resolutions against its nuclear program since last year. The six countries negotiating the dispute - the UN Security Council permanent members plus Germany - have demanded that Tehran suspend all uranium enrichment before negotiating a solution to the nuclear program.

    Iran insists that it needs nuclear power purely to generate electricity. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced early April the start of uranium enrichment on an industrial level.

    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik
    • Сomment