Miroslav Niyazov told RIA Novosti over the telephone: "Akayev was in active talks with opposition leaders at the time. He knew about mass disturbances were being prepared and, allegedly, even said he was ready to cover the expenses through his son-in-law."
Niyazov added that a special commission to investigate the June developments had been set up, and people had been asked to provide all the information they knew. "We received many reports, and concluded that it was an attempted coup," he said.
Niyazov said the situation on that day, when thousands of people tried to seize the central government building in Bishkek, was actually far more dangerous than it seemed. He said the protesters did not expect the police to react in such a resolute manner, and the rioters themselves were poorly organized.
Earlier, Akayev denied any involvement in the events and said the attempts to hold him responsible for the Bishkek unrest were nothing but "a political farce with a sinister tint."
Niyazov said the Security Council "had reliable information to the effect from various sources." According to him, the National Security Service was analyzing the convincing evidence.
"It is a criminal investigation so we will not give any political assessment until it is over, as is stipulated by the law," he said, adding all the information would be made public in court.
On July 5, a special commission completed an inquiry into the events. The results have not been disclosed so far.