Iran, P5+1 to continue working on Tehran nuclear deal until July 20
During a press conference following the talks, both diplomats noted that there is certain progress and a universal agreement can be reached within days. The head of Iran's foreign ministry underlined that the text of the document is "50 percent ready."
John Kerry added that "tangible progress" had been made, but 'very real gaps' still remained. The officials did not exclude a possibility of extending a deadline.
"I am returning to Washington today to consult with President Obama and with leaders in Congress over coming days about the prospects for a comprehensive agreement as well as a path forward if we do not achieve one by the 20th of July, including the question of whether or not more time is warranted," Kerry told journalists at a press briefing.
Shortly after this statement, Zarif also said that a decision on extending the deadline could be made on July 20.
"I still believe that we will make it by July 20 but this is just a possibility. On Sunday [July 20], we will decide whether we can reach a deal or we still have unresolved [issues] and whether we need to continue [talks]," Zarif stated.
Commenting on the talks with his Iranian counterpart, the US Secretary of State noted that "these are tough negotiations."
He underlined that in order to continue consultations a decision of each member of the P5+1 group is required.
"As we stand now, we have made enough headway to be able to tell our political bosses that this is a process worth continuing," Zarif said in his turn.
The final sixth round of negotiations between the six world powers "US, UK, France, Germany, Russia and China" and Iran has been underway in Vienna since July 2, with the parties hoping to reach an agreement by July 20.
Within this week, world powers hope to agree on guarantees of the exclusively peaceful character of Iran's nuclear program in exchange for a step-by-step lifting of international sanctions against the Islamic Republic.