UN chief doubts Syrian chemical weapons to be destroyed by June 30 deadline
Removal of Syrian chemical weapons is in full swing, Pentagon press secretary Rear Admiral John Kirby told reporters. He noted that some part of remaining eight percent of chemical stocks had already been withdrawn and this news report was hopeful. All these toxic agents will be delivered to US ship MV Cape Ray for further destruction.
Questions related with delivery of remaining chemical weapons from Syria were discussed in one of recent telephone talks between US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.
Then over US state secretary's concerns on a delay with withdrawal of the last batch of chemical weapons Sergey Lavrov noted that the reason for this was in actions of opposition militants. “Russia believes that professionals should settle all emerging problems and should keep in constant contact with Syrian government over the issues related with completion of the chemical disarmament operation co-operating closely with the leadership of the joint mission of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) and the United Nations Organisation,” the Russian diplomatic agency said.
An operation for destruction of Syrian chemical weapons and its components is planned to finalise by June 30. According to the OPCW-UN joint mission Syria has already destroyed all declared stocks of isopropyl alcohol which is one of precursors for production of toxic gas sarin. Syria keeps 7.5% of previous stocks with toxic agents for chemical weapons that are stored at a facility in a Damascus suburb.