15 June 2013, 17:06

Deaths from SARS-like coronavirus rise to 28 in Saudi Arabia

Индия больница Индия ребенок медицина ребенок рак ребенок болезнь день борьбы с раком

Two more people have died in Saudi Arabia from the SARS-like coronavirus, the Health Ministry said Saturday, bringing to 28 the number of deaths from the respiratory illness in the kingdom.

The two male victims were foreigners working in the oil-rich country, according to the ministry, which did not specify their nationalities.

A 46-year-old died Wednesday in the town of Wadi al-Dawasir, south of the capital Riyadh. A 21-year-old died Friday in the north-eastern area of Hafr al-Batin.

Some 46 people have been diagnosed with coronavirus in Saudi Arabia since September, the ministry said.

The strain of coronavirus, called MERS-CoV, was first discovered in 2012 in a man in Saudi Arabia.

France, Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Germany, Tunisia and Britain have also reported infections.

Coronavirus belongs to the same group of viruses as SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, which 10 years ago killed about 800 people.

Three more deaths from coronavirus

Three more deaths from coronavirus infection have been registered in Saudi Arabia. Earlier, the World Health Organization reported about 30 lethal cases and 51 cases of infection with coronavirus in the entire world.

In total, 24 people have already died from coronavirus in Saudi Arabia.

Coronavirus was first discovered in Saudi Arabia in 2012. Later, cases of infections with this virus were registered in France, Germany, Jordan and the UK.

The symptoms of coronavirus infection resemble those of atypical pneumonia.

First case of coronavirus announced in Italy

A 45-year-old man who had been travelling in Jordan was been diagnosed with Italy’s first case of the deadly SARS-like coronavirus on Friday.

He was admitted to hospital in the central region of Tuscany with breathing difficulties, a high fever and a cough.

Although resident in Italy, he is a foreign national and had spent 40 days in Jordan visiting a son.

The Italian Health Ministry said he is in a good condition and being overseen in isolation.

Saudi Arabia reports three more deaths from SARS-like infection

 

Three more people have died in Saudi Arabia from a SARS-like coronavirus, health authorities said, bringing the number of deaths from the disease in the kingdom to 21.

 

The three victims of the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) were all Saudis and died in the country's Eastern Province, where most cases have been recorded, the Health Ministry said.

They all suffered from kidney failure and other chronic illnesses, it said.

The ministry announced that a new case of the illness had been identified, also in the Eastern Province, in a Saudi man suffering from renal failure.

The total number of MERS-CoV cases detected in the kingdom stands at 38, according to the ministry.

The World Health Organization in a May 29 update said it had been informed of "a total of 49 laboratory-confirmed cases of infection with MERS-CoV, including 27 deaths."

Most cases occurred in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates. There were also cases in Britain, France, Germany and Tunisia linked to travel to the Middle East, the WHO said.

 

Voice of Russia, dpa, RIA

  •  
    and share via