09:20 GMT13 August 2020
Listen Live
    Get short URL
    Deadly Attack on Mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand (61)

    The US-based social media giant said Saturday it had also removed all edited versions of the Friday's Christchurch massacre that do not show "graphic content".

    Facebook stressed in a statement that the measure was taken "out of respect for the people affected by this tragedy".

    According to the company's New Zealand office, Facebook continues "to work around the clock to remove violating content".

    The violent shooting in two mosques rocked New Zealand's eastern city of Christchurch on Friday, leaving 50 killed and dozens injured. New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has called the shooting a terrorist act, saying it was the country's "darkest day".

    READ MORE: NZ Media Reveal Tarrant EU Trip Details, Allege Link to Christchurch Massacre

    Local media reported, citing eyewitnesses, that a man wearing a helmet, glasses and an army-style jacket opened automatic fire in a mosque with an estimated 300 people inside. The gunman — identified as Australian national Brenton Tarrant, 28 — live streamed the massacre that instantly went viral in the social media.

    Ardern said Sunday at a press conference that Facebook's chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg had sent condolences over the shootings, adding that she wants to discuss the live streaming issue. "I have had contact from Sheryl Sandberg. I haven't spoken to her directly but she has reached out, an acknowledgment of what has occurred here in New Zealand […] This is an issue that I will look to be discussing directly with Facebook", Ardern said.

    On Saturday, the Christchurch District court charged Tarrant with murder and ruled to remand the shooter in custody until 5 April, while the police said they expected further charges to be brought against him.

    A total of four people were reportedly detained in the wake of the attack. However, New Zealand police consider that three people have no links to the issue.

    According to New Zealand police commissioner, Mike Bush, following the shooting, the police detained a man and a woman after fire arms were found in their car. The woman has already been released, while the man has been charged with illegal actions associated with fire arms. A third detainee was charged with incitement to racial discrimination and he will reportedly face trial on Monday.

    READ MORE: What You Need to Know About Mosques Shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand

    Deadly Attack on Mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand (61)


    Steam Removes Over 100 Accounts Praising New Zealand Mosque Shooter
    Blame Anons: Media Links Imageboard to New Zealand Mosque Massacre
    Four Palestinians Killed, 6 Injured in New Zealand Mosque Shootings - Ministry
    Erdogan Confirms New Zealand Shooting Suspect Visited Turkey Twice
    New Zealand Shooter Planned to Continue Attack When Police Caught Him - PM
    videos, removal, shooting, Facebook, Brenton Tarrant, United States, New Zealand
    Community standardsDiscussion