WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — The families of men and women who were killed in the 9/11 attacks filed the lawsuit against the Saudis back in 2002, but the US Supreme Court has refrained from getting involved.
"In September, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit is supposed to schedule hearings," Goldman said prior to the 15th anniversary of the tragic event. "Here is my prediction: the proceedings will take place in the late fall."
"When I took this case I felt that we would prevail at some point," Goldman added. "I still do."
During the past 14 years, he explained, a substantial amount of information has been collected to move forward.
"American families have to get answers before this case becomes even more complicated," Goldman said.
The anniversary is also noteworthy, the attorney added, given that this is the year the US government finally released the controversial 28 pages of the 9/11 report indicating that Saudi Arabia had provided financial support to terrorists.
Earlier this week, media reported that the US House of Representatives would vote on a controversial bill allowing 9/11 victims to sue Saudis in US courts. President Barack Obama has threatened to veto the legislation, claiming the proposed measures could put US-Saudi relations at risk.
On September 11, 2001, Islamic extremist groups carried out four airplane attacks on New York City, Washington, DC, and Shanksville, Pennsylvania. As a result of the crashes, nearly 3,000 people were killed and another 6,000 were injured.