WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — Earlier on Thursday, the decision by a lower US court not to defer deportation of millions of undocumented immigrants under Obama’s plan was upheld due to a 4-4 vote.
"Today’s decision is frustrating to those who seek to grow our economy and bring rationality to our immigration system," Obama stated. "Today’s situation underscores the degree to which the court is not able to function the way it is supposed to."
The US Supreme Court split decision that blocked the administration’s immigration plan is frustrating and underscores the court's failure to function properly without a full bench of justices, Obama said.
The White House does not plan to take any additional executive actions on immigration, Obama said.
"On the specifics of immigration, I don’t anticipate that there are additional executive actions that we can take," Obama stated, commenting on a Supreme Court ruling earlier in the day, which blocks part of his immigration plan.
In November 2014, Obama issued an executive order protecting millions of undocumented immigrants from being deported from the United States, and providing them with the opportunity to obtain employment permits.
Twenty-six US states filed a joint lawsuit in Texas to block the program, claiming the move exceeds the authority given to the president under the US constitution. In February, the ruling by a judge in Texas ordered the US federal government to halt the program’s rollout while the case is decided.