WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — The US House of Representatives committee that has been investigating the 2012 terrorist attack in the Libyan city of Benghazi plans to release its long-awaited report next month, Congressman Trey Gowdy said in an interview.
"I would have loved to have done it [released a report] in the summer of 2015, but yes, it will be done before the conventions," Gowdy told NBC News on Friday.
Gowdy was referring to the Democratic and Republican parties’ national conventions to nominate their respective presidential candidates that are scheduled to take place in July.
The 2012 attack at the US diplomatic compound in Benghazi on the 11th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington, DC, killed US Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
Controversy over the Obama administration’s dismissal of the attack as an anti-American protest sparked by a social-media posting from the US Embassy in Egypt earlier in the day has marred US presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s tenure as secretary of State.
The State Department had ignored repeated requests for extra security as militant Islamist groups gained control of Benghazi following the US-led overthrow of longtime Libyan leader Muammar Gadhafi.
When it became clear that the attack was a well-planned and well-organized terrorist operation, Republicans in the US House of Representatives created the committee to investigate the event.