02:08 GMT +318 October 2019
Listen Live
    A picture taken on September 10, 2013 shows the wreckage of burnt cars outside the main gate of the US consulate in Benghazi on the eve of the anniversary of the 2012 attack on the diplomatic mission that left four people dead, including the ambassador.

    'No Evidence' Supports Accusations Against Clinton in Benghazi Attack

    © AFP 2019 / ABDULLAH DOMA
    US
    Get short URL
    0 33
    Subscribe

    The US House Select Committee on Benghazi has conducted 54 interviews that did not reveal any evidence Hillary Clinton acted inappropriately during and after the 2012 terrorist attacks on the US diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, Democratic staff on the Select Committee said in a report on Monday.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — Clinton was in the last months of her service as state secretary when Islamic terrorists attacked the US diplomatic compound in Benghazi on September 11, 2012, killing Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other US government employees.

    "None of the witnesses substantiated repeated claims that Republican members of Congress and presidential candidates have been making about former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for the past three years relating to the attacks in Benghazi," the report stated.

    Clinton was in the last months of her service as state secretary when Islamic terrorists attacked the US diplomatic compound in Benghazi on September 11, 2012, killing Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other US government employees.

    Republican lawmakers claim the White House and State Department did not send military back-up to the besieged diplomats to avoid publicly admitting the attack was carried by al-Qaida-backed terrorists. The Obama administration had said it decimated the terrorist network by killing Osama bin Laden in 2011.

    "In stark contrast to these baseless political attacks, the 54 individuals who have now been interviewed by the Select Committee have identified… no evidence that Secretary Clinton ordered the military to stand down on the night of the attacks," the report stated.

    Clinton had previously taken responsibility for mistakes made in the aftermath of the attacks, but rejected accusations that the Obama administration had tried to mislead the US public about the Benghazi terrorist attack.

    Related:

    Turkish Court Authorizes Arrest of Four Suspects in October Ankara Attack
    Cologne Lawmakers, Citizens Rally in Support of Attacked Mayoral Candidate
    Ankara Terror Attack Death Toll Climbs to 102
    Tags:
    probe, Clinton, Benghazi, United States
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik