“I hereby delegate to the Secretary of State the authority to prepare and submit to the Congress the reports and strategies required by” the Ukraine Freedom Support Act, Obama said in the press release on Thursday.
- New sanctions imposed against Russia10.0% (180)
- Withdrawal of Ukrainian troops from Debaltseve46.6% (835)
- Execution of 21 Egyptian Copts by ISIL10.8% (194)
- Vladimir Putin’s visit to Hungary24.4% (438)
- First humans chosen for mission to Mars8.2% (147)
The reports will include the anticipated provision of defense articles and military training for Ukraine, support for civil society and democratization in Ukraine, as well as in Russia, and a separate report on Russia’s compliance with the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF).
The Act, which also authorizes the provision of lethal assistance to Ukraine and the introduction of new sanctions against Russia, was passed by the US Congress and signed by Obama in December. Russian officials condemned the law, saying that Moscow would implement retaliatory measures if the full provisions of the bill are implemented.