08:57 GMT +319 January 2018
Listen Live
    Washington and NATO are not seeking confrontation with Russia, but will not compromise on international principles vital for European and US security, Pentagon spokesperson Lt. Col. Vanessa Hillman said

    Pentagon Takes Measures to Address CENTCOM Cyberattacks: Defense Official

    © Sputnik/ David B. Gleason
    US
    Get short URL
    Violence Erupts as Islamic State Rises (1881)
    0 115

    The US Central Command twitter page and Youtube account have been allegedly hacked by the Islamic State militant group.

    A man types on a computer keyboard
    © REUTERS/ Kacper Pempel/Files
    WASHINGTON, January 12 (Sputnik) — US Department of Defense is taking all measures to address Monday cyberattacks on the US Central Command (CENTCOM), US Defense Official told Sputnik on Monday.

    "We are taking appropriate measures to address the matter," the official stated, adding that there is no more additional information available at this time.

    CENTCOM Twitter and YouTube accounts were compromised earlier on Monday, the official has confirmed with Sputnik.

    A computer screenshot shows the US Central Command Twitter feed after it was apparently hacked by people claiming to be Islamic State sympathizers January 12, 2015
    © REUTERS/ Staff
    US Central Command Twitter
    Hackers, claiming to be affiliated with the Islamic State, briefly hacked US Central Command’s Twitter and YouTube accounts on Monday. Taking control of the command’s Twitter feed for nearly an hour, the hackers praised Allah and said the “CyberCaliphate continues its Cyber Jihad.”

    "In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful, the CyberCaliphate under the auspices of ISIS continues its CyberJihad. While the US and its satellites kill our brothers in Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan we broke into your networks and personal devices and know everything about you," read a message released by alleged IS hackers through the CENTCOM Twitter page.

    Writing, “American soldiers. Watch your back. We are coming,” the hackers released what is allegedly the contact information of senior CENTCOM officers and threatened them and their families. It then posted what appeared to be US military plans related to North Korea and China.

    The Twitter page was filled with slogans and pictures allegedly showing military and nuclear facilities in China and North Korea before being hastily suspended.

    Simultaneously, a nearly three minute YouTube video in Arabic with flashing English wording was posted on Central Command’s account before being removed. The flashy video showed fighters and tanks while extolling the virtues of the Islamic State and calling for revenge against infidels and Jews. The video was later removed.

    Monday’s hack came as US President Barack Obama announced earlier in the day plans to boost cyber security and consumer data, following the hack on Sony in December. On Tuesday the president is expected to visit the National Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Center to discuss better information sharing between the government and private sector.

    US Central Command, whose area of responsibility includes the Middle East, North Africa and Central Asia, is running the US and coalition bombing campaign against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria. The command regularly posts updates on Twitter of airstrikes against the Islamic State, as well as videos of airstrikes on YouTube.

    Topic:
    Violence Erupts as Islamic State Rises (1881)

    Related:

    At Least 24 Kurds Killed by Islamic State Militants in Iraq Deadly Attack
    NSA Data Shows Islamic State Plans Series of Attacks in Europe: Reports
    Indonesian Police Thwart Pro-Islamic State Gathering Set for Sunday:Reports
    Iraqi Air Force Kills 17 Islamic State Militants: Reports
    Tags:
    Daesh, hacker attack, CENTCOM, YouTube, Twitter, United States
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik
    • Сomment