WASHINGTON, December 25 (Sputnik) – US President Barack Obama said he was glad that The Interview, a comedy about the CIA plotting to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, came out, after Sony Pictures Entertainment was threatened by hackers, demanding the company cancel the release of the movie.
"I'm glad it's being released," Obama said Wednesday as quoted by the White House press service, when asked whether or not he planned to watch The Interview.
Last week, Sony cancelled the premiere of the movie after receiving threats from an anonymous hacker group that launched a cyber-attack on the company on November 24, hacking into sensitive data, including credit card numbers, passwords and salary figures.
The FBI said that North Korea was behind the cyber-attack on Sony, but Pyongyang denied the claim.
Last Friday Obama said Sony should not have cancelled the release of The Interview as foreign powers should not be allowed to impose censorship in the United States.
On Tuesday, Sony decided to let the comedy run in some theatres on Christmas Day, which was the original release date set for the movie.
The Interview will also be available to viewers on Google Play, YouTube and Xbox Video.