MOSCOW, December 8 (Sputnik) – Police have used tear gas to disperse hundreds of protesters in Oakland, California.
Twitter messages say injuries from police violence have been reported.
The California Highway Patrol says it was making arrests but has not released the figures, AP reported on Monday.
A second night of police brutality protests began on the University of California campus in Berkeley. The protesters marched toward the neighboring city of Oakland. The California Highway Patrol said some of the more violent protesters tried to light a patrol vehicle on fire and threw rocks, bottles and an explosive at officers.
- A protester flees as police officers try to disperse a crowd comprised largely of student demonstrators during a protest against police violence in the U.S., in Berkeley, California early December 7, 2014© REUTERS / Noah Berger
- This photo provided by Gabriel Reyes shows the protest in Berkeley, Calif., Sunday, Dec. 7. 2014© AP Photo / Gabriel Reyes
- Demonstrations continued in cities across the U.S. for a fourth consecutive night Saturday, after a New York grand jury failed to indict NYPD officer Daniel Pantaleo in the chokehold death of Eric Garner.© AP Photo / Noah Berger
- Police officers scuffle with protesters during a protest against police violence in the U.S., in Berkeley, California. More than five police vehicles suffered damage as several hundred protesters took to the streets before being dispersed with teargas.© AP Photo / Noah Berger
- A woman attempts to toss back merchandise into a Radio Shack after it was vandalized during a march against the New York City grand jury decision to not indict a police officer in the death of Eric Garner, in Berkeley, California December 7, 2014© REUTERS / Stephen Lam
- Protesters retreat while police officers deploy teargas to disperse a crowd comprised largely of student protesters during a protest against police violence in the U.S., in Berkeley, California December 7, 2014© REUTERS /
- Police officers deploy teargas while trying to disperse a crowd comprised largely of student protesters during a protest against police violence in the U.S., in Berkeley, California early December 7, 2014.© AP Photo / Noah Berger
The highway patrol officers responded with tear gas. Some of the protesters have reportedly made their way to a freeway in Oakland and blocked traffic. Police say six people were arrested Sunday night, while three officers and a technician were hurt. The most serious injury was a dislocated shoulder, AP reports, quoting Berkeley police.
Cities throughout the US remain in the grip of mass protests over police brutality and grand jury decisions not to bring charges against white officers whose use of excessive force has led to the death of black Americans.