On 13 June, the two vessels, Front Altair and Kokuka Courageous, were reportedly hit by explosions in Iran's territorial waters in the Gulf of Oman. The cause of the incident remains unknown but US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo immediately blamed Iran. Shortly after, CENTCOM said a US Navy destroyer was headed towards the region. Tehran has strongly denied any involvement in the incident. In a press release, Iran’s has mission urged the international community to prevent the United States and its allies from escalating tensions in the region.
MOSCOW (Sputnik) – The United Kingdom has decided to send 100 marines to the Persian Gulf region in order to protect its military and merchant vessels after a recent incident in the Gulf of Oman, local media reported on Sunday.
On Friday, the UK Foreign Office accused the Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) of attacking tankers in the Gulf of Oman, adding that Tehran had already conducted attacks on oil tankers before.
The United States has accused Iran of orchestrating attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman on 13 June, having released video “evidence” which is considered by some of its allies insufficient to prove that Tehran is to blame. The Islamic Republic, for its part, has strongly denied the allegations as groundless.
The reported development comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East as the United States and its regional allies have accused Iran of orchestrating an attack on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman earlier this week. Tehran has strongly rejected the allegations as unfounded.
The Pentagon earlier released a video, claiming to show an Iranian patrol boat removing a mine from the side one of the tankers targeted in the Gulf of Oman as "proof" of the US accusations that Tehran is behind the attacks. The Islamic Republic has strongly denied its involvement and urged Washington to stop false flag ops in the region.
After the incident in the Gulf of Oman, Iranian military fast-boats reportedly prevented privately owned tug boats from salvaging one of the damaged vessels.
WASHINGTON (Sputnik) - Secretary of State Mike Pompeo shared the US assessment of incidents in the Gulf of Oman with Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abd al-Mahdi, State Department Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus said in a press release.
WASHINGTON (Sputnik) - US Senator and 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders in a statement called on President Donald Trump to refrain from using recent incidents in the Gulf of Oman as an excuse to go to war with Iran.
Earlier, US President Donald Trump accused Iran of attacking tankers sailing through the Gulf of Oman, claiming that a video released by the US military provides proof of it. Tehran has denied all the accusations and called on the US to stop carrying out false flag operations in the region.
LONDON (Sputnik) - UK Foreign Office accused on Friday the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) of attacking tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
WASHINGTON (Sputnik) - The United States is focused on building international consensus after a series of attacks that have occurred in the Middle East, US Acting Secretary of Defenсe Patrick Shanahan told reporters on Friday.
Earlier in the day, US President Donald Trump accused Iran of carrying out attacks against two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
STOCKHOLM (Sputnik) - The chief executive of Norwegian shipping firm Frontline Management, the owner of the Front Altair oil tanker, which was reportedly attacked in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday, has ruled out the possibility of a technical malfunction being behind the fire aboard the vessel, in an interview published on Friday.
Earlier, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused Iran of committing attacks against two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman. Tehran has vehemently denied Washington's accusations and called to stop using false flag provocations to shift the blame onto the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Two oil tankers sailing through the Gulf of Oman suffered explosions that damaged the ships and forced the crew to abandon them. Although the cause of explosions has yet to be determined, the US has accused Iran of attacking the tankers and sent a destroyer, USS Mason, to the Gulf. Tehran vehemently denies being involved in the blasts.
The state-run agency, IRNA, earlier reported that Iranian rescue services had saved 44 sailors from oil tankers after the vessels were attacked in the Gulf of Oman on 13 June.
TEHRAN (Sputnik) - US security services and Israeli intelligence agency Mossad may be behind the recent destabilization in the Persian and Oman gulfs, Hossein Amir-Abdollahian, a senior foreign policy adviser to the Iranian parliament speaker, said amid the oil tanker incident in these waters.
Several media outlets earlier reported that two tankers sailing in the Gulf of Oman, Norwegian Front Altair and Japanese Kokuka Courageous, suffered explosions that damaged the vessels. According to IRNA, Iran has evacuated 44 sailors from both ships.
BISHKEK (Sputnik) - The United States is taking steps to damage stability in the Middle East and in the whole world, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Friday, amid the oil tanker incident.
Shortly after two oil tankers - Kokuka Courageous and Marshall Islands-flagged Front Altair - were attacked in the Gulf of Oman, the US placed the blame for the incident on Iran. Tehran has, for its part, denied involvement in the incident.