MOSCOW, November 2 (RIA Novosti) – Luis Suarez, who scored 31 goals for Liverpool throughout last season, was not included in the 23-man FIFA Ballon d’Or shortlist due to his summer incident, where the 27-year old Uruguayan bit another player, Liverpool coach Brendan Rodgers said, according to the Telegraph.
“I couldn’t think of a reason why he wouldn’t be in it, football-wise,” Rodgers said, as quoted by football news portal Goal.
“He should have been on that list. I don’t believe it is fair. We look through the list of names, I wouldn’t know all their histories, but I’m sure they had misdemeanors somewhere along the way. If you are judging on football, and that’s surely what it is, it’s the Golden Ball, not the Golden Ball and Mouth,” Rodgers shared his thoughts, as quoted by the Telegraph.
According to Liverpool coach, Suarez is one of the five best football players in the world right now, along with Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar and Bale.
Suarez had a truly outstanding season last year, scoring 31 goals and bringing Liverpool to the verge of winning the English Premier League title. His hunger for more goals turned extreme during the summer World Cup in Brazil, where the Uruguayan star bit another player’s shoulder. The incident resulted in four months disqualification for Suarez.