WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko will hold two bouts in the first half of this year if he successfully defends his title later this month, BoxingNews.com reported, citing his manager.
‘Dr. Ironfist’ Klitschko (43-2, 30 KOs) is scheduled for a title defense bout against British heavyweight Dereck Chisora (15-2, 9 KOs) on February 18 in Munich.
Manager Bernd Boente said he will start looking for Vitali’s future opponent after February 18. The fight, which could take place in May, will definitely not be against David Haye of Britain.
“Knock on wood that Vitali beats Chisora on Saturday night. We will start negotiating with some opponents but it won't be David Haye,” Boente was quoted as saying.
There will be no fight against Haye because of the “huge guarantee” the Englishman is demanding. Boente says he does not want to take the risk because the British public is still angry over Haye's fight with Vitali’s brother last July.
Haye, who repeatedly insulted the Klitschko brothers, faced off last year with Vitali’s younger brother Wladimir, who currently holds the WBA, WBO and IBF belts. The victory went to Wladimir and Haye later blamed his defeat on a toe injury.
“We don't know how the British pay-per-view will do because Haye is not a superstar anymore because of his performance with Wladimir. As of right now the fight is off,” Boente said.
Vitali Klitschko hung up his gloves in November 2005 due to a knee injury but came back to the ring in 2008 and held eight bouts since then, winning all of them
Last year Klitschko, 40, defended his title twice, winning both fights by technical knockout.