17:43 GMT +318 January 2020
Listen Live
    Society

    More Than 1,200 Weapons Confiscated From Schoolchildren in NYC in 2013-2014: NYPD

    Society
    Get short URL
    0 14
    Subscribe

    New York Police Department confiscated more than 1,200 weapons from high school students during 2013-2014 academic year.

    MOSCOW, October 20 (RIA Novosti) - The New York Police Department (NYPD) confiscated more than 1,200 firearms, knives, boxcutters, razors and other dangerous objects from high school students in the course of the 2013-2014 academic year, The New York Post reported.

    The New York Post quoted figures obtained from the NYPD, which reveal the most popular weapon among schoolchildren was the knife. Some 58 percent of all confiscated weapons were discovered by metal detectors, with the remaining 42 percent recovered via tips from staff and other students.

    According to the newspaper, 79 city high schools and junior high schools use metal detectors similar to those in airports. Eight more schools also have the detectors but only use them occasionally. The NYPD also carries out unannounced scanning with mobile units in certain schools.

    NYPD Inspector Charles McEvoy was quoted by the newspaper as saying that students do not arm themselves to commit crimes but to defend themselves in dangerous neighborhoods or when involved in conflicts with other students.

    The youngest student found carrying a gun last year was 10 years old.

    Tags:
    school, weapons, NYPD, New York
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik