"Taking this into consideration, we do not rule out qualifying the event under other articles of the Russian criminal code," Petrenko said.
Investigators believe that the deadly fire at a retirement home in Moscow was most likely caused by electric wiring and heating boiler failure, senior aide to the head of the Moscow department of the Investigative Committee said.
"Investigators are looking into different theories. Electric wiring and heating boiler failure are currently assessed as the priority version of the event," Yulia Ivanova said.
The Russian Investigative Committee has already opened a criminal probe into the fire, which erupted late on Wednesday, under the negligent homicide article.
According to Petrenko, Alexander Bastrykin, the head of the committee, has also ordered investigation into fire-prevention regulations at the retirement home, calling for learning the reasons behind the fire and providing a legal evaluation of staffers' actions.