19:27 GMT31 May 2020
Listen Live
    Russia
    Get short URL
    Coronavirus Puts Nations on Lockdown (264)
    4253
    Subscribe

    The day before, Moscow's COVID-19 response centre said that people younger than 45 account for nearly 50 percent of the new coronavirus patients registered in the Russian capital, with the infection confirmed in 17 more children.

    Chief Public Health Official Anna Popova said on Saturday that a significant number of Russian citizens are not violating self-isolation regime amid the coronavirus disease pandemic.

    "It is important today ... So that everyone knows about prevention measures, everyone knows the risks and threats from today's coronavirus, and so that everyone can make a conscious decision for themselves. Today, a significant number of Russians have made this decision and do not violate the established rules, although there are other people that pose risks to the rest," Popova told reporters.

    According to Popova, a total of 96 percent of coronavirus infections occur through droplets, and the other 4 percent of cases are airborne.

    The official also noted that Russian health authorities are currently conducting between 34,000 and 37,000 tests for COVID-19 per day, and this number is set to rise.

    "At present, we are testing 34,000 to 37,000 people per day. This is a significant number, and we will increase the amount," Popova told reporters.

    According to the recent official data provided bu the World Health Organisation, the total number of people infected with COVID-19 reached 976,249 as of Friday, while the number of fatalities reached 50,489.

    At the same time, the number of coronavirus cases registered in Russia has reached 4,731 with 43 fatalities.

    Topic:
    Coronavirus Puts Nations on Lockdown (264)
    Tags:
    symptoms, infection, coronavirus, COVID-19, Russia
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via SputnikComment via Facebook