MOSCOW (Sputnik) — On Monday, a 12-year old child died after being diagnosed with anthrax in Russia's northwest Siberian Yamal Peninsula. According to the Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous District's authorities, the child was among nine people who were tested positive for anthrax.
"There are 86 patients from the quarantined area and nearby localities currently in the Salekhard's infectious department. 51 of them are children, since it was decided to first admit the children to the hospital. There are also 4 patients including 2 children in the infectious department in the Yar-Sale [village]," Noskova told RIA Novosti.
Last week, the massive death of reindeer in Yamal peninsula was reported due to the unusually hot summer for this area, which could have triggered the long-dormant bacteria to become active, according to scientists.
Anthrax is an infection caused by the Bacillus anthracis bacterium and most of its forms can be lethal if inhaled. Some forms of the disease respond well to antibiotic treatment and effective vaccines against anthrax exist.