MOSCOW, July 18 (RIA Novosti) - One hundred and twenty eight people remain in hospitals after June 15's Moscow Metro derailment, an emergency response center representative told RIA Novosti on Friday.
“As of Friday morning, 128 people remain in Moscow hospitals,” the emergency response centre representative said.
The fatal accident occurred on Tuesday, during the morning rush hour, in the tunnel between Slavyansky Bulvar and Park Pobedy stations on the Arbatsko-Porkovskaya line.
According to the Russian Health Ministry, 23 passengers died and 161 were injured. Over 120 of them have been hospitalized.
The Russian Investigative Committee is now considering possible causes of the derailment.
No evidence has been found so far to substantiate the initial theory that the train stopped abruptly after a power outage triggered its emergency brakes.
Technical experts argue that the accident could have been caused by an object under a train.
Another theory says that the train could have derailed because of an engineering mistake, as building works on a new track were carried out in the same tunnel just one day prior to the accident.