Ingushetiya.ru was first banned earlier this year after being declared extremist. Local authorities said the website had called on people to take part in unsanctioned demonstrations in January. The protests against the local administration were banned over public safety fears. The decision to ban the website was approved by a Moscow court in August.
On Thursday, the regional center for domain registration took steps to remove the site. However, on Friday, the site reopened again as Ingushetiya.org, a lawyer for the website said on Friday.
"The editorial staff of the Ingushetiya.ru website has decided to switch to a new domain name, Ingushetiya.org... [the new site] will fully reflect the content of the previous website," Musa Pliyev said.
He added that the editorial staff, the policies and the content of the website would remain unchanged, and that editor-in-chief, Roza Malsagova, would remain in her post.
The owner of Ingushetiya.ru domain and an opposition journalist Magomed Yevloyev, was shot dead in a police car on August 31 and died in hospital shortly afterwards.
"Preliminary reports say that as the vehicle that Yevloyev and the police officers were in was moving, one of the police officers' guns accidentally went off, and a bullet hit Yevloyev in the head," a source told RIA Novosti.
"He was shot straight in the temple," said Magomed Khazbiyev, Yevloyev's official representative.
Following Yevloyev's death, thousands took to the streets in Ingushetia's main city of Nazran in protest.
Russia remains one of the world's most dangerous countries for reporters. According to data from the international organization Reporters Without Borders, 21 journalists were murdered in Russia between 2000 and 2007.