00:26 GMT02 April 2020
Listen Live
    Russia

    Rescuers may call off search for last missing Russian in China

    Russia
    Get short URL
    0 01
    Subscribe

    Rescuers renewed their search on Wednesday for a Russian still missing in northwest China, the last of a group of six, and may call off the operation later in the day, the emergencies ministry said.

    MOSCOW, September 26 (RIA Novosti) - Rescuers renewed their search on Wednesday for a Russian still missing in northwest China, the last of a group of six, and may call off the operation later in the day, the emergencies ministry said.

    Last Friday the Russian-Chinese rescue team found two of the canoeists alive in a remote region near the Yurungkax River, and earlier discovered three dead. The six set off on August 21 on a canoe trip down the river, but were declared missing after they failed to meet their interpreter on September 2.

    "On Wednesday Russian and Chinese rescuers renewed their search for the last tourist, whose fate remains unknown. By the end of today, a decision could be taken to end the search-rescue operation," said Viktor Beltsov, a spokesman for the Russian emergencies ministry.

    Andrei Pautov and Alexander Zverev were found alive by the ground search team. Dmitry Tishchenko is still missing. The three bodies discovered earlier this month have been identified as Sergei Chernik and his son Ivan, and Vladimir Smetannikov.

    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via SputnikComment via Facebook