"The cat sensed the acrid smell of smoke, jumped onto the bed and woke up his owner," he said. "On waking, the woman saw the phone on fire in the hallway, and put out the flames herself."
The cause of the fire is being established, but one of the most likely explanations is a short-circuit, the spokesman said.
"Burning plastic gives off a huge number of substances that are harmful to humans when inhaled, so the vast majority of people die in fires not from the flames, but from the smoke. The cat deserves, at the very least, an extra dinner," he said.